• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

RCV Axles

ransil

Bronco Guru
I haven't heard of the need to rebuild RCV's all the time - if that was necessary, you'd think there would be a lot more complaints! RCV's use a big CV joint (same thing that is in just about every car on the road today) rather than a u-joint. All of them do well with frequent greasing.

One advantage not mentioned is that RCV's have a greater tolerance for power applied when turned to full lock. This may or man not be an advantage for you, depending on how you use the truck.

I was planning on going with standard axles + strong u-joints. However, when I calculated the cost of axles + high end u-joints, the cost was pretty comparable to the RCV's...minus a lifetime warranty and other advantages.

mine are 8 years old , no rebuilding needed as far as I know, but I dont put a lot of miles on it.
hit it with grease once a year is all I do, grease is $50 a tube

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
x2 what Marcus and ransil said...who started the need to rebuild RCV rumor?? Not true...

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
x2 what Marcus and ransil said...who started the need to rebuild RCV rumor?? Not true...

Correct for what 99.9% of us do this is 100% a myth. I know some race teams that race and prerun 15,000 (some more) miles per year, they are replacing the bells, spiders and balls every year but they are racing and replace/rebuild everything to eke out all of the reliability possible.

As for what are we doing to need these highfalutin parts? I don't know maybe we're just special. I know I can break every part in a D44 in about 10 minutes and think I'm being nice to it, hence why I don't wheel one. I know my last trip with a D44 in one fell swoop I broke all 4 chromoly axle shafts (inners and outers), the ring and pinion and locker. didn't feel like I was abusing it, 1st trip out after a total rebuild, was just shooting up a loose climb, there was a pop and the truck stopped and started sliding backwards.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I know jeep guys that would brag about there new RCV axles one day and a year later they would be at the same event and no longer running RCV's. Said they sold them because they were too much upkeep for the price. But like i said Heeps dont have lock put hubs so a axle is always turning. Spicer joints last 100,000 miles on the road. Sure RCV's are strongest possible axles available but for 99.9% of us there over kill and for some folks like heep owners there not that great for a rig that gets driven to work every day. I spent 5grand rebuilding my 44 and i didnt get RCV's. Just telling the original poster that sometimes you dont need the most expensive parts to have fun on and off the road. I think the money spent on a ARB is worth it but im not convinced that RCV are a must. Hell even the ARB isnt a must, but makes trails easyer.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Well...RCV's are well worth the cost if you are going for your "once in a lifetime" trip to Moab or some cool wheeling place and that trip is ruined because the first trail you go on you grenade a ujoint...

Many people can't make a 2,000 mile trip every year with kids, school, work, vacation, bargaining with the wife on vacation destinations... so that ONE TRIP they finally get and ka-bam!! Trip is over because the D44 knuckle grenades, ujoint blows, etc, etc...

I used to run a 44...bought a D60 in 2000... sold it because I didn't want that PIG in my Bronco...well, I run one now :) ...I'd rather have a bit of extra weight than be replacing parts on the trail...or have to go home early because I didn't upgrade a known weak axle assembly.

ARB's were a must for me...I live on icy/snow covered roads for months at a time...I tried Ford Tracklock, Detroit, Auburn, you name it...only safe locker was a selectable locker...ARB USA said I had the first D44 in a Bronco in our State... safety was my biggest reason for the ARB's...been running them since Feb '87...

I'm a firm believer in enjoying your vacation...more apt to have fun when you aren't doing trail repairs