• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear disc brakes clicking noise

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought a nice '66 that's got rear disc brakes. After several miles of driving I notice a "clicking" sound coming from them. I can barely touch the brake petal and the clicking goes away.

Do I just need to adjust them? And if so, IN (to mimic slightly applying the brake petal)? Or OUT, so they are not touching rotor at all during non-braking driving?

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Don't think you can adjust rear disc brakes.
I would pull the wheels and see what you got going on back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, you're right, guess what I was thinking about is the adjustment for the emergency brake.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi The pads may be flopping around in the caliper or the caliper may be sloppy in the mount. The caliper must have a way to float back and forth and the pads generally have a tight fit with shims or clips of some sort. Also the mounting bolts could be loose. Do you think it is one side or both sides? X2 pull the wheels and check it out.

CraigS

Or if you have a slightly warped rotor it will 'click' as the rotation contacts the pads.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Pull it apart and check it. Mine did that on way to fab ford's 2 years ago. Somehow one of the pads slipped out of position and was working it's way to falling out.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
There are little clips that hold the pads in place that are often installed wrong or forgotten as mentioned. Looks something like
this
8398bce30be8cebb192a592a107358fa.png

Had that happen on my front disk .

Cvcoda

Loc.
Omaha, NE
^^^ what Blue Bastard said. Most likely the clips that hold your pads.

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. I'll pull the back rims and take a look.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Back when I had my parts store .. My old 1980 Bronco was giving me a fit . I heard it clicking when we hunted .. Slow driving .
I discovered I'd put the Anti Rattle clips on the wrong end of the shoes.
CHANGED MY CLIPS & wala NOISE GONE.