• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Recommend which aluminum heads and cam for 5.0

bflippinw

I have an 80,000 mile 93 t bird motor with factory honing still visible. Trying to decide which parts for a rebuild. I would like to be around 300 horse but interested in best torque. Can you guys recommend Which aluminum heads and cam if necessary. Which intake for Holley sniper? The stock cam is either the HO or the 93 cobra one- it changed mid year. Should I just keep the stock cam? This is my first engine build so sorry I will have stupid questions.

dougsride

I got edelbrock e street heads with performer cam. nice parts made in USA

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The stock cam should work pretty well for what you are looking for.

Aluminum Heads with smaller 165-170 ports will work great as well. AFR-165s or the Edelbrock 170 Street Heads. If getting Complete heads make sure they are set up for the Roller Cam.

The Edelbrock Performer or the Weiand Street Warrior will work great for the Sniper. If I remember correctly, the Weiand has an extra water port for the EFI Water Temp Sensor which is a bonus.

RM70

Contributor
GT40 heads, a decent cam, intake, and headers will get you to 300hp at the crank.

BanditBronco

I ran a set of Flotek heads with 165cc chambers and a Lunati cam 51017LUN on a rebuilt original 302 block converted to Roller with tuned mustang EFI and pulled 215 HP 236 TQ to the wheels on the Dyno. So well over 300 crank HP

For simplicity factor, Edelbrock top end kits are nice because your valvetrain should already be spec-ed for the cam. I have ridden in a few and they get it pretty good.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Hot Rod magazine did a test of Aluminum heads a few years ago . They started with E - Street and went up to the newest latest bad ass whatever --
They found the E Street was not only the best bang for the buck but virtually gained almost as much HP and maybe more torque than the spendier more exotic heads. Basic verdict was unless you're looking for the absolute most HP gain ( as in only another 10-15 ) the E Streets were the way to go - especially for a street driven vehicle .

omureebe

Thing with E-Street heads.... people have complained about casting slag, just check the interweb... I bought them for my mild 351W build and I can tell you that's definitely something to look for if you get them as I had a little to remove at the pushrod bore. No regrets at all here, but then again, I have to finish the build and break in the motor!

OP
OP
B

bflippinw

Turns out I have the cobra cam. Looking into flowtek heads- they were very helpful on the phone and the website gives part #s to finish out the build which makes it easier to pick gaskets, rockers etc. Also said they could custom build to work best with my cam. dropping off the block tomorrow to hopefully just get cleaned and honed. Maybe crank polished.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
20 years ago I ran the 300hp fuel injection package from Edel.

My Mustang ran 1.77 lousy 60ft and a 12.501 at 109mph on the big end. The car weight 3400 with me in it.

E street heads are meant for flat tappet and no real room for growth.

If you are after strong gains I would go with a trusted brand. Nothing worse than having to do a job twice.

BanditBronco

Turns out I have the cobra cam. Looking into flowtek heads- they were very helpful on the phone and the website gives part #s to finish out the build which makes it easier to pick gaskets, rockers etc. Also said they could custom build to work best with my cam. dropping off the block tomorrow to hopefully just get cleaned and honed. Maybe crank polished.

They have always been super helpful for me as well. If I have any issues they answer the phone, call you back, and send out parts quick. Also the same lady answers the phone, she will remember you.

Good home town, small business feel. Hard to find these days.