• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Going to disk, what do y'all recommend

OP
OP
John_parkeriv

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
I’ll bet the bore size might be too big. Guessing it might be 1 3/8”?

That would def degrade pedal feel.
Could a solution be a different master cylinder? I have a Ford HB unit laying around I was gonna put in my foxbody, may be a Ford master cylinder would help? Booster came off a powerstroke truck, so it may still be too big.

OP
OP
John_parkeriv

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
I think there may be a little confusion in this thread, though these are some solid things I've got to check on. The main reason I'm trying to go to disc is stopping power, not the lock up. Even as far as the pedal goes before lock, the truck hardly wants to stop.

Is there a way to tune the booster down a bit to make them lock later instead?

36Fan

Contributor
Sounds like you'e looking for better brake "modulation" than outright force? Right now its basically all or nothing type braking?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I mention the ABS as folks sometimes forget, the EB is one step in front of Oog and his round rock for stability and control.

OP
OP
John_parkeriv

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
I mention the ABS as folks sometimes forget, the EB is one step in front of Oog and his round rock for stability and control.
Oh I know, use to know some kid around here that got a few classics and genuinely complained they didn't handle like his daily :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
John_parkeriv

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
Sounds like you'e looking for better brake "modulation" than outright force? Right now its basically all or nothing type braking?
Pretty much, either the truck isn't stopping or all the wheels are stopping (while still not stopping the truck)

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Hydraboost was never intended for 4 wheel drum brakes but it should work. They are touchy and will take some getting use to. I’m guessing the problem is with the master. You’ve put a master out of a truck that had disc up front and bigger drums and wheel cylinders than you have. I would be looking at getting a correct 4 wheel drum brake master then learning how to live with the booster sensitivity.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I’m guessing the problem is with the master. You’ve put a master out of a truck that had disc up front and bigger drums and wheel cylinders than you have. I would be looking at getting a correct 4 wheel drum brake master then learning how to live with the booster sensitivity.
I agree with this......So much info out there on the different MC's.

Not sure if it applies here but there's a lot of info on push rod adjustments as well.