• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing rear shock mounts

BruiserOutdoors

My bronco came with 2 shocks at each corner. I have elected to remove the additional aftermarket shock brackets on the front (stroppe style), in front of the coil spring pocket,

My question is whether or not to remove the added front shock mount brackets on the frame on the rear of the bronco? Will I regret this? Should I utilize these mounts? My main desire for removing them is that they are sort of "bent" looking, though this just might be the way they were. And if I run a single rear shock on the bronco, an unused mount will look odd.

I plan to run just a single Bilstein shock at each corner for now with potential to upgrade the rear setup in the future. (408w 6r80w atlas 2 37s)

Let me know what you would do.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're cleaning up the extra tabs and stuff from the frame, then this would be the time to take them off. My EB had doubles on the rear when I got it, but one of each of the pairs of shocks were drilled out, so they were just there for the "look" I guess. I'm in the process of swapping in F150 axles and 37's, so I removed both sets and then fabricated a new rear shock mount that was higher up to take advantage of the 2" body lift and get the most travel out of my shocks and suspension.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're not going to use them, why wouldn't you take them off? You can always weld them back on later if for some reason you wanted to do so. It's just steel, so nothing is permanent.

OP
OP
BruiserOutdoors

BruiserOutdoors

If you're not going to use them, why wouldn't you take them off? You can always weld them back on later if for some reason you wanted to do so. It's just steel, so nothing is permanent.
well the reason I ask is because I am not sure if maybe it would be smart to utilize one or both of the mounts.

- Should I run 4 rear shocks?
- Should I run one front mount and one rear mount? Staggered like modern trucks?
- Or?

Wasn't sure if I was missing out on any benefits of using the front mounts, otherwise, yes i agree, might as well get rid of it if not in use.