• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Revised Paint Code resource List

77-302

Loc.
Canton, MI
1. I am skeptical if the original color is what is one the inside of the glove box door due to the over spray.

2. No, the VIN gives no indication that I am aware of of the top color. The top was most likely Wimbledon White, unless your Bronco has the Special Decor stripe package option which allowed for a color matched top in 1977.

I would look closer, you can almost always find original paint in spots that were not painted during color changes in all but the most detailed jobs.

Look high up on the firewall under the dash, under the hood, under the door hinges, door seals, etc.

On the top, is the inside white or painted body color?

You can also always sand through the layers to see what comes though. If you are not ready to repaint just yet, just do it in a somewhat hidden location or a spot that is covered with another part.

Thanks for the input, I was up at JBG today. Jeff and I were discussing it and he thinks it was a Special Decor truck also. You can see blue color around the top window rubber but the top is currently white inside and out. I have no detail from the previous owner so I decided to order a Marti Report.... I'm crossing my fingers cause if it is a special decor truck with Bahama Blue Monochrome and the white stripe I will be very very happy! I'll let you know when I get my report. Brad.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Thanks for the input, I was up at JBG today. Jeff and I were discussing it and he thinks it was a Special Decor truck also. You can see blue color around the top window rubber but the top is currently white inside and out. I have no detail from the previous owner so I decided to order a Marti Report.... I'm crossing my fingers cause if it is a special decor truck with Bahama Blue Monochrome and the white stripe I will be very very happy! I'll let you know when I get my report. Brad.

Brad, if you decide to take it back to stock or at least add the stripe back on regardless of what color you paint it, we make and sell the Special Decor stripe kits as well as the other 3 stripe kits that were ever offered on the Bronco.

Just send me a PM if you would like to order one when you are ready.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
my 77 is paint code y and is baytree green

My FoMoCo reference materials show that as Jade Glow Metallic as I have it listed in post #1 as (7N), upon further looking at this color, it is also Code "Y", which I also just added under the 1977 list. I'm not 100% sure why some list two codes yet. I think the single letter or numbers are used for Light Truck, and some of the number and letter combo codes like 7N may have been from one of the car offerings? But some list two different codes for the same color.

Where did you get that name? I do not see that name listed on any other FoMoCo materials.

Again, and I can not seem to repeat this enough in this thread and have people see it, DO NOT GO JUST BY NAMES. Especially if you are looking at a PPG, DuPont, or other manufacturers books and not an original FoMoCo Light Truck Color Selections paint chip card for the specific year.

Color names in paint manufactures books that do not match what FoMoCo used for the same code of the same year are not official color names.

77-302

Loc.
Canton, MI
Update.....Marti report

Brad, if you decide to take it back to stock or at least add the stripe back on regardless of what color you paint it, we make and sell the Special Decor stripe kits as well as the other 3 stripe kits that were ever offered on the Bronco.

Just send me a PM if you would like to order one when you are ready.

Well I got my Marti report.. turns out my truck is currently a bastard child (I guess like most) a combination of several other PO's tastes and ideas.
Report shows that it was an HD Sport, with blue interior, convenience package, PS/PS. 3.50ls, extra cooling fan and radiator, hd springs and shocks.....
It was built in June of 1977 as a dealer stock unit and it was sold July 29th.
(11 days after I was born!)
Don't get me wrong, I'm lucky to have a solid truck that is mostly rust free, but it does not resemble its original self. The current color is wrong, interior wrong, top was painted blue at some point (wrong), belt line trim removed and holes filled, badges are just the Bronco script instead of the Correct Sport badges....oh well, I will not worry so much about it being correct and just enjoy it....someday I will paint it bahama blue again.....

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder

No need to apologize or roll your eyes, just make the corrections I pointed out in post #87 and again in #124 of that thread when they are pointed out so people do not take it as fact. ;D

My point was simply that you can not pull pics off the net and assume the color. I took the pic in that post, know the vehicle, and know the color currently listed is not a 1977 choice, so that is why I pointed it out. That Bronco belongs to my friend AJ and is the Bronco we used about 10 years ago to pattern our reproduction Special Decor strips from since in had original decals and paint at that time. It has since undergone a frame off restoration and nearing completion. I just emailed the owner to get the code off the VIN to verify if it is Vista Orange as I suspect, since that is the only orange listed in the 77 sales brochure.

In that particular instance, it is obvious by the gas cap doors that it is a 1977 Bronco, and therefore can also be easily determined that Calypso Coral was not a Bronco color in 1977.

I am learning a lot with the work I have been doing on this, and have been making the corrections as I find out more.

People tend to take simple things as fact, and then perpetuate it as such which helps no one who is trying to learn more about these vehicles or for anyone trying to do true restorations.

EDIT: I just got an email back from AJ, and the paint code is "U", Vista Orange as I suspected.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I stumbled across this website a couple days ago researching mustang colors. You can look up most make, models, and years. plus it gives paint codes for several paint manufactors and copies of original manufactor paint chip books. Vey handy! It doesn't have bronco specific but does have ford truck.

Here is the link for 77 ford truck

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?year=1977&manuf=Ford&rows=50

Thanks for he link. It appears there could be some good info in there, but again, I must warn of the names being used. I have just spot checked a couple and found several errors/inconsistencies right off the bat.

I.e. 1977 code "I" is listed on there as "Bright Blue", but is listed on the 77 sales brochure as 'Bahama Blue".

I'm still trying to get an original 77 Ford Light Truck Color Selections card to verify for sure, but the 78 card also calls code "I" Bahama Blue as well.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorco...rd&smodel=Ford Truck&sname=Bright Medium Blue

Most of this is not important in many cases (unless you are doing a high end factory original build and spend a few grand on paint materials and get the wrong color!), but it is interesting to find out just how confusing it can be with all the different names, codes, paint chip cards, dual codes, truck vs. car colors, options, etc.

77-302

Loc.
Canton, MI
I.e. 1977 code "I" is listed on there as "Bright Blue", but is listed on the 77 sales brochure as 'Bahama Blue".

I'm still trying to get an original 77 Ford Light Truck Color Selections card to verify for sure, but the 78 card also calls code "I" Bahama Blue as well.

Broncitis, Do you have a copy of the 1977 Sales Brochure? Any way you could scan and email me a copy? I've looked on line, and I've only seen just a few pages from the original, nothing complete.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Broncitis, Do you have a copy of the 1977 Sales Brochure? Any way you could scan and email me a copy? I've looked on line, and I've only seen just a few pages from the original, nothing complete.

Thanks.

I have a complete collection of ORIGINAL 66-96 sales brochures, including some multiple litho dates for some years, some of which had differences.

The reason I emphasis original is that I also have a few which are reproductions, and those have found incorrect or contradictory information to what my originals have.

The FoMoCo licensed reproductions have a very small note on the bottom of the back that says they are licensed reproductions. However, there are probably others out there that are not licensed.

I have seen some websites that appeared to have complete pdf.s, but can not recall the sites offhand.

My buddy and partner in OBR, Nhopman scanned my complete collection several years ago in high resolution. I will see if I can find those files. If not, I will see if I can re-scan it for you.

In the mean time, he is a pic of the portion of the original 77 brochure that relates to this thread:

Attachments

• CIMG9998.jpg
    CIMG9998.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

nhopman

I have a complete collection of ORIGINAL 66-96 sales brochures, including some multiple litho dates for some years, some of which had differences.

The reason I emphasis original is that I also have a few which are reproductions, and those have found incorrect or contradictory information to what my originals have.

The FoMoCo licensed reproductions have a very small note on the bottom of the back that says they are licensed reproductions. However, there are probably others out there that are not licensed.

I have seen some websites that appeared to have complete pdf.s, but can not recall the sites offhand.

My buddy and partner in OBR, Nhopman scanned my complete collection several years ago in high resolution. I will see if I can find those files. If not, I will see if I can re-scan it for you.

In the mean time, he is a pic of the portion of the original 77 brochure that relates to this thread:

scans of the 1977 Bronco Brouchure

Attachments

• 1977 screen 1.pdf
    164.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 1977 screen 2.pdf
    172.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 1977 screen 3.pdf
    184.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 1977 screen 4.pdf
    189.5 KB · Views: 60

roan65

Loc.
Alaska
I have 2 - 77 codes that aren't on your front page list that are verified by Marti reports:
S - Midnight Blue Metallic Paint
P - Dark brown paint

If you are trying to get the most accurate list that Ford produced, you can try to contact Marti Auto. http://www.martiauto.com/ Marti is THE numbers guy for FoMoCo from 68 up. I usually run Marti reports on all my vehicles so I know what they came with from the factory. I think they also do special reports for the cost of research.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I just crossed the info I have and am showing code P the same as 8U that I had listed, which is Cinnamon Glow Metallic. I have never seen "Dark Brown" so far, but I am still waiting on receiving the 77 FoMoCo Light Truck Color Selections card.

I am aware of Marti and have seen their reports and bought some of their parts for our restorations.

I will contact them to see what insight they can provide.

BDAZSVT

I dont want to muddy the thread, but I have a 76 paint code V that was silver. Silver is listed as V in 77?
photobucket-30640-1349723801957.jpg

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I dont want to muddy the thread, but I have a 76 paint code V that was silver. Silver is listed as V in 77?
photobucket-30640-1349723801957.jpg

Too late, the entire topic of colors is already very muddy!;D

Good info though. I do not see color code V in 76, but do see it for 77.
Is your Bronco a mid or late production 76?

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Years don't mean much either. If his was produced in June of 76 he could have a 77 color on it. Sometimes when I enter a paint code the computer doesn't even list the correct year that particular code is for but I always go by the code. The code always matches the car. The year and color name means nothing. As long as I have a blendable match I'm happy :)

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I went to Sherwin-automotive.com under Formula Express and typed in code "V" and all these came up. I'm thankful that modern codes at least don't have a bunch of totally different colors.

Ford America V Exterior Academy Blue 1959-1965
Ford America V Exterior Alaska Blue 1968
Ford America V Exterior Burnt Amber Metallic 1967
Ford America V Exterior Dark Jade Metallic 1975-1978
Ford America V Exterior Emberglow Metallic 1965-1966
Ford America V Exterior Indio Beige 1974
Ford America V Exterior Light Pewter Metallic 1971-1973
Ford America V Exterior Medium Beige 1974
Ford America V Exterior Medium Copper Orange 1970
Ford America V Exterior Medium Silver Metallic 1976-1978

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I went to Sherwin-automotive.com under Formula Express and typed in code "V" and all these came up. I'm thankful that modern codes at least don't have a bunch of totally different colors.

Ford America V Exterior Academy Blue 1959-1965
Ford America V Exterior Alaska Blue 1968
Ford America V Exterior Burnt Amber Metallic 1967
Ford America V Exterior Dark Jade Metallic 1975-1978
Ford America V Exterior Emberglow Metallic 1965-1966
Ford America V Exterior Indio Beige 1974
Ford America V Exterior Light Pewter Metallic 1971-1973
Ford America V Exterior Medium Beige 1974
Ford America V Exterior Medium Copper Orange 1970
Ford America V Exterior Medium Silver Metallic 1976-1978

Yes, and this is one of the things that makes it even trickier.

Sometime the same code can be totally different colors in different years, so sometimes you do need the year and an idea of the color as well as evidenced by the above list of code "V".

In this case, since we know it is a 1976, and silver, we could be somewhat safe to go with the mixing formula for the last one.

When looking a unusual or questionable codes, I have been looking at the model year prior and after the year of the vehicle in question, as well as the car colors and light truck colors.