• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

RJM fuel injection harness question

OP
OP
Stevenb

Stevenb

Loc.
Spokane, WA
No main harness? I think that would’ve been important to know early on. Maybe I missed it.
Where are you sourcing power? You need main power to the relays on the heavy wire, and switched power to the RJM harness connector at the back of the engine, as well as grounds.
The grounds are usually included in the RJM harness and are typically sufficient for the EFI stuff. But for a fuel pump that need more battery power than can come through the computer, where are you pulling power for the relay array?
And how is the main system grounded?
I’m using the RJM harness and it splices into the factory harness in the manner is safe d to do it. All of the engine bay harness is RJM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stevenb

Stevenb

Loc.
Spokane, WA
There is a bank of 4 fuses included with the RJM harness. What is the voltage present at the fuse panel on the 2nd fuse down? Since it goes directly to the Battery positive, it should be +12V all the time. Please verify.
I will check that shortly.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Measure both sides of that fuse with the key off, and key on. I'm guessing a poor connection at the fuse.

I had to bypass the fuse panel for my heater fan. It went intermittant on me. New wire from my under hood fuse box fixed that.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Stevenb

Stevenb

Loc.
Spokane, WA
If the relays are new then I think it has to be the wires. You should check the outputs at the relay sockets though. Just to make sure they’re not corroded inside or something that might be reducing voltage.
Why it starts higher and gets lower I’m not sure, other than resistance building up heat, then more resistance.
Something getting old.

Check, refresh, renew, replace, or just add new grounds. I believe the computer simply switches the ground side of the relay, therefore should not really have anything to do with the voltages dropping at the load.

Hopefully somebody else has some more and better ideas. But with the long-term deterioration of your other items just from sitting, corrosion on electrical connectors becomes a high possibility.
I think I got it. I chased and chased wires tonight. Finally found the green wire under the dash. It seems to have somehow gotten a fuse that was just barely letting voltage through to the low pressure pump. I think the filament was corroded or something. It took digging and moving stuff to get to that additional fuse box. Oddly I was remembering correctly. Low pressure pump does run constantly with ignition. I talked to wild horses and Bc broncos who helped me, what I thought was ten years ago, but turns out to be closer to 15. I wired the low pressure pump the way they both say to do it in their instructions. The fuel accumulator just lets any excess gas return to the tank. Supposedly this helps with vapor lock. I’ve never had vapor lock so I will probably change this wiring in the future when I add the new wiring harness this summer. But I swapped out that fuse, chased the wire back to the rear pump, and it checks perfectly for voltage now. Bronco runs! It might not be the safest way to run that rear pump, but they said they still send the same wiring diagram out with them to this day. So it’s worked for 15 years and then just randomly decided to poop. I was letting myself be overly complicated in the solution. I was thinking it was a relay or something, when it was really a bad fuse buried under the dash. Also not recalling for sure about the rear pump running constantly. I kept hearing that that was impossible and such. Oh well. Memory did work, I just doubted myself. I appreciate everyone’s help immensely. I am thinking I may go the simpler route next year and get an in tank pump and different tank. But that’s a lot of money, when this has worked for so long. Thank you again everyone.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Way to keep at it and find the hidden culprit! Congrats (at least for now until the next gremlin rears it's ugly head!).

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I find as I am getting older I need a note book of the changes I have made with part numbers and notes so I can re-flash the old computer when necessary. I am lucky as I have no previous owner installations before I owned the Bronco so its all my fault, but I do blame getting Covid for helping to scrambe my bits and bytes. But backtracking 40 years of changes are not so fun now.