• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

roadside smog test in Manhattan Beach

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good to know.
They just looking at tailpipes that drive by, or do they pull you over at random just to look under the hood?
I've heard that some areas have machines that measure your exhaust as you drive by, but that seems like an expensive proposition to make mobile, so likely makes a random inspection a little more likely.

Wonder if they're looking for "tuned" diesel trucks belching soot, or missing catalytic converters and such like that.

paul

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Machines that measure your exhaust as you drive by?

They use those in Colorado, scan your plates and if you pass you get a letter telling you that you don't need to go to a station to test.

They are using small green boxes on the sides of the road now.

The Colorado monitoring is one of the things that caught the VW diesels.

Attachments

• Monitor-Ahead-color-w-gr-boxes.gif
    Monitor-Ahead-color-w-gr-boxes.gif
    74.3 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
S

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
It's a trailer with the rollers. I think they run tailpipe and also heat sensors for fumes out the hood. I was in my 72 suburban. They didn't wave me in

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Feel sorry for you folks! I could run a full race truck through town n nobody would care! And have run around a few days open headers nobody cares!

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
A friend of mine that's a retired cop said that if they pull you in and what to perform a smog on your car you can deny the smog and they'll let you go. That's what he told me and he was pretty firm on that too. Guess I'll take a look into the law for that to prepare myself lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elan

Loc.
s
Notice you will NEVER see vehicles with Mexican plates pulled over at a smog test. They come over by the tens of thousands everyday. The U.S does nothing about it.

OP
OP
S

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
A friend of mine that's a retired cop said that if they pull you in and what to perform a smog on your car you can deny the smog and they'll let you go. That's what he told me and he was pretty firm on that too. Guess I'll take a look into the law for that to prepare myself lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After this morning I let some local friends with built vehicles know. My buddy who builds race cars said the same. When I got to the beach to hang with the other broken old men I mentioned it. One of eem with an old Volvo he leaves his surfboards in said they tried to snag him. He said no way and they didn't make him do it. Good to know. A few years ago they had em quit a bit around here.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
We haven't even had yearly inspections/stickers here in about 15 years.

OP
OP
S

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Will they test my Toyota for free, so I can submit my registration renewal?:)

Sure they'll test you free but you don't get a cert for your registration. If you fail, which many newer cars do, you get a ticket and get to go to a test only station on your dime til it's fixed. That's part of why they quit for a while. It was getting more newer cars than the old ones they wanted off the road.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
They could also go after the smog tech. if you get caught up in one of those spots shortly after smog tech, Don't know if they go that far,but the technology is there.
Had a friend with a 62 406 Fairlane that got flagged from the other direction to go through the now defunked Calif random safety checks. He had brand new exhaust and had to change it.
Been in Oregon for 10 years now and have to smog 75 up with the every 2 year reg. it's $108 total,2 years,any car.But they really stick it to you on DMV services.

Most all of Oregon is not smog checked. I'm just fortunate to be in one of the areas that does