• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roll Bar Photos.

BlueSierra

Hi all. Does anyone have a roll bar setup similar to this, including the struts between the bar and windshield? I’m looking to have one fabricated in New Zealand as shipping is prohibitively expensive. Il looking to use a Bestop soft top and/or bikini top.

If anyone does have a similar setup I’d love to get some more detailed photos. I’d greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

b07fe0096b8eab89610f8a02b0b8fe41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
If you would like to live through a rollover have a full cage made. Doesn’t matter if you don’t take it off road, Broncos can and do rollover on the road.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
That roll bar is or looks like a standard smittybuilt bar for an early bronco. If there is any truck or off road shop there they might be able to order one. The other rods going to the windshield are available thru bc broncos (above) and probably don't cost much to ship. With that said douchebag is right. If you want to be safe running topless in a bronco you should have a full cage. If you are able to order the smittybuilt bar they also make a weld in kit for that bar that protects the cab.

OP
OP
B

BlueSierra

That roll bar is or looks like a standard smittybuilt bar for an early bronco. If there is any truck or off road shop there they might be able to order one. The other rods going to the windshield are available thru bc broncos (above) and probably don't cost much to ship. With that said douchebag is right. If you want to be safe running topless in a bronco you should have a full cage. If you are able to order the smittybuilt bar they also make a weld in kit for that bar that protects the cab.

Thanks for the info. I’ll have a look.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In most cases, yes. Some cages have been designed around it. And since you’re doing custom, you could too.

OP
OP
B

BlueSierra

In most cases, yes. Some cages have been designed around it. And since you’re doing custom, you could too.

Copy that. Thanks. The early bronco is a rare beast down these parts. So I appreciate the wealth of knowledge around here.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Speaking of custom, I personally like double main hoops. I also like the crown/peak in the center like the old Stroppe bars.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you going to be carrying passengers in the back very often? Such as young kids?
If so, you might consider either a family style version, or at least “kickers“ that are higher up and extend further back to the corners. The ones in your picture are stylish and relatively strong, and give bigger passengers something to put their arms over when relaxing. But as for protection, they’re pretty minimal for back seaters.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
My Apologies I didn’t catch the New Zealand location. I’d be looking at custom too since shipping would be a huge expense. There are a lot of ways to modify the legs to work around the glove box if you want to do a full cage, my search fu isn’t as good this morning…. You can modify the hinge on the door so it opens slightly and then slides off to the left, that is the easiest and least intrusive requiring minimal fabrication. But like I said I’ll take a basic hoop over nothing

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Tom's bronco makes a kit that allows full use of the glove box without any mods. It's a different design using flat plate at the A pillar. Some won't like it. Since you are from NZ Tom's has a decent install video that should give your fabricator a good idea on how to build you something similar if it interests you.

OP
OP
B

BlueSierra

Are you going to be carrying passengers in the back very often? Such as young kids?
If so, you might consider either a family style version, or at least “kickers“ that are higher up and extend further back to the corners. The ones in your picture are stylish and relatively strong, and give bigger passengers something to put their arms over when relaxing. But as for protection, they’re pretty minimal for back seaters.

No won’t be carrying kids at all and likely back seat passengers will be few and far between.

OP
OP
B

BlueSierra

My Apologies I didn’t catch the New Zealand location. I’d be looking at custom too since shipping would be a huge expense. There are a lot of ways to modify the legs to work around the glove box if you want to do a full cage, my search fu isn’t as good this morning…. You can modify the hinge on the door so it opens slightly and then slides off to the left, that is the easiest and least intrusive requiring minimal fabrication. But like I said I’ll take a basic hoop over nothing

Thanks. I’ll have to look into it more.

OP
OP
B

BlueSierra

Tom's bronco makes a kit that allows full use of the glove box without any mods. It's a different design using flat plate at the A pillar. Some won't like it. Since you are from NZ Tom's has a decent install video that should give your fabricator a good idea on how to build you something similar if it interests you.

That’s a great idea and good to know. Thank you.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The bulk and New Zealand will make shipping anything impratical.
Best bet is to look for a fab shop that does race car stuff and show them pictures. If you still have the hard top, use that as the upper limits to build the main hoop to.

The bar/cage debate will go on forever. Without anything a mild tip will go full flip and be on the hood. The windshield has no structure compared to the rest of the vehicle. That single hoop does best at taking a side flop and stopping it on its side, not letting it go full over. And does offer some structure if it does go full turtle. I consider it perfect for normal use. Going full cage is when you plan to get into sketchy situations where going over is a likely event. And you want a full occupant cage. It also adds weight, up high, the worst place.

Judge what you need, not what someone else wants.

Spreader bars are good for the soft top as the tension will want to pull the windsheild back. Couple simple brackets, heim joints and a little tube for the joints. Heim are great as they allow the body to flex (it will) and not load up the windsheild and crack the frame from forced lateral movement.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
“...The windshield has no structure compared to the rest of the vehicle...” I’d add “nor does the top”. Look at it... nuttin. Our rigs are pretty dangerious, as were many things from that era. Many put in something (san phileepe, what ever they can) just for this reason. Even "never off roaders”. I dont blame them BUT...
plez frame tie ! I seen too many on the rd w/silly feet stickin up thru the fl boards, bar pushed dwn to bed rails hight, 3, 4 ft rearranged. In fact... who makes thru-the-body-mount weld-on clips you can samwich the floor in & bolt to the standardly sold
cage bottom feet. Tell ‘em to make the 8th so I can still use the Aux Tank. Now there’d B a product for Nick or any the others~