• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roll Cage Advice needed

Sminter33

Loc.
Macomb, IL
I’m restoring my 75 and need to get my roll cage complete. What do you all recommend...painting it or doing a powder coat? Thanks!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Flat black paint will be the easiest to touch up when knicked.

Powder coat is tougher and has a really nice finish.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I plan to paint mine once done, along with the bumpers, rock sliders, etc. Once I've got some miles on them and they start to show some wear and tear, I may pull everything and get it powder coated all at once, but I tend to tweak stuff for a while, so rattle can works better for that initially IMO.

KeithKinPhx

I am painting mine body color. After that dries I will pad and wrap to match the new leather seats. My mom (76 years old) is an awesome seamstress and we'll do the Velcro Jeep thing or maybe a baseball stitch it up closure.

May be her last contribution to my ride (hopefully not).

Jakedog

I painted mine with rustoleum truck bed coating. It's chip resistant and I like the way it looks. I put two coats on mine. Buy 1 can and spray something metal as a test. A can is about $7 at Wal-Mart.
I used it on the fuel tank on my KLR 650 in 2011, and it still looked good in 2015 when I sold it. Never needed a touch up.
It is slip resistant.

Jakedog

Heres a pic.

Attachments

• 20180322_162051.jpg
    20180322_162051.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I was going to paint but decided to powdercoat until I heard the price. Now Im going to raptor line it

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Flat black paint will be the easiest to touch up when knicked.

Powder coat is tougher and has a really nice finish.

Paint def easier for touch up.

But you can’t go wrong with PC

Good luck

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Rustoleam semi gloss black for me. Easy to touch up or respray when needed. I started with just a roll bar. Five years later added a front cage. 15 years after tbat added a family cage. Then added support bars and grab handles. All with adding changes and repainting. If you do powder coat just make sure you get it all done right the first time and all accessories done so you powder coat once. Broncos are never done they keep evolving.

crab

Bronco Guru
I powder coated one of my cages. Extremely nice finish and stands up very well against the salt air and sand where I live (Oregon Coast). Eventually got tired of the color (translucent candy orange), so I lightly sanded it down and rattle canned it satin black with roll bar/chassis paint. Turned out very nice and held up well with out the worry of rust wicking through the paint, which always happens here on the coast. I would powder coat just to seal it from the elements. I've tried every paint on the market, and nothing will hold up here on the coast for more then a few years.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I powder coated one of my cages. Extremely nice finish and stands up very well against the salt air and sand where I live (Oregon Coast). Eventually got tired of the color (translucent candy orange), so I lightly sanded it down and rattle canned it satin black with roll bar/chassis paint. Turned out very nice and held up well with out the worry of rust wicking through the paint, which always happens here on the coast. I would powder coat just to seal it from the elements. I've tried every paint on the market, and nothing will hold up here on the coast for more then a few years.

KBS will, but you'll have to top coat it as it's not UV. I think Rustbullet (ad to the left) is similar.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I am painting mine body color. After that dries I will pad and wrap to match the new leather seats. My mom (76 years old) is an awesome seamstress and we'll do the Velcro Jeep thing or maybe a baseball stitch it up closure.

May be her last contribution to my ride (hopefully not).

Just curious - why paint it body color then pad and wrap it? Plus, I think it's cool that your Mom is going to be involved!

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I was going to powder coat mine, but then with all the things I'm going to be hanging from it, I know it's going to get scraped and scarred. Then I was going to paint it black to match the interior fabrics. Now I think I'm going to go body color, for ease of touch up and repainting.

OP
OP
S

Sminter33

Loc.
Macomb, IL

Did you have any trouble with runs in the paint or anything like that? I'm just hoping not to screw it up if I do it myself. Thanks!