• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

RPMs on the Highway

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
At what RPMs do you find your 302 getting annoying loud or disturbing? I'm toying with going back to 33s to accommodate some uncut rear quarters, but my motor seems REALLY happy with my current combo 35 BFGs, 4.10, C4, mild 302. I'm not sure my RPMs right now as my tach has taken a dump, but last highway trip 70 (very comfortable) 75, 80 (maybe starting to push it comfort and noisewise) mph all seemed very happy. I can hold 70 all day long easy. Very comfortable. I'm just trying to figure this out as it's been a while since I had 33s on my rig and I'm going be thinking tires come soon here. Experience? Info?

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
What width tire are you thinking with the 33"s uncut?
I believe 12" would be too wide for uncuts.
John, I think it's great if you can cruise all day at 70mph on 35"s.
Do you know anyone with 33"s to borrow for a quick drive to see how you like the performance on your setup?

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Yeah, good idea, Mark. I can borrow Dr B.'s 33s and try them out. I'm thinking of running stock EB wheels with 33 x 10.50 BFG Muds. I was eyeing those 34 Swampers but they are Bias and I need a radial. I don't know. It's a toss up. I'm just dying to use these uncut cutouts from MpCrewCab sitting in my garage and bring back some classic style. :cool: What's new with you?

Mtn Gote

Loc.
Sultan Wa.
With mine, doing bout 60mph puts me at 2600 rpm's. Its really loud too, plus I have gaps along the door seems so I get that whistle from the wind. I am on 33's, 3 speed, and 3.73's I think.
Cory,

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I've got 32x11.5-15s on my uncut with a 2.5" lift, and they baaarely fit.
I had to roll up the fender lip, and I can barely get a pinky in between the tire and fender. so I think anything wider is gonna rub.
I think my tach (dad bought it new in '70) is off, but it says at 80mph, it's at 4000rpm.