• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Highway rpms for 302 3 speed?

Mtgrizzlymn

What is considered safe rpms for our 302 engines! I pur at least 50 miles highway driving daily. If I go 65-70 I'm over 3000 rpm is this to much? It sounds and drives fine at this speed.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If you have room for them some bigger tires will reduce the RPM's at highway speeds.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Agreed. 3000 rpm isn't exactly "high" or in a high-wear zone, and certainly not in the danger zone. It's just not in the efficiency zone. Which doesn't really exist for an EB anyway!

What size tires and gear ratio and trans there Mt? Reason I ask is that wit 32's, 4.11's and a manual 3-speed, you should be running in the 3000 range at 70 mph. Are you running higher than that, or a different tire size or gear ratio? Automatic trans by any chance? An old C4 would probably add about 200 rpm to your normally expected rpm range due to the non-direct drive.

You using a tach, or a calculator chart?

Just curious about most of that. Had that combo myself for many years, put 175k miles on it with that combo here in CA and previously in MT.
Engine ran like a top when I sold it (the engine that is), if that tells you anything about your underlying question of durability and such.

What oil do you use, and what change interval? I used 20w/50 and 5000 miles, but will probably run 10w/40 or something along those lines in my new one.

Have fun!

Paul

OP
OP
Mtgrizzlymn

Mtgrizzlymn

Paul I have 35 inch bfg which are 33.4 inches I was told! 3 speed manual gears I'm thinking 456 haven't done the test yet. Using a tach and gps, my speedo is extremely close to gps to.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, if you're running over 3grand at 70-ish with 35''s, I'd say you have to be running 4.56's or something similar. Not unheard of, but you'd be one of the lucky ones. Most would kill for some pre-installed 4.56 gears!

Easy enough to find out though.
I wonder if they were added, or factory installed? This rig start out as a 6-cylinder engine by any chance?
What year is it? I know I should know by now, but I forget if you've mentioned it or not.

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
Mtgrizzlymn

Mtgrizzlymn

1969 Paul. I'm pretty sure it had the 302, gears added after lift and tires I think. What ever they are they work great in all conditions for me so far. Just the rpms seemed high on the freeway.

OP
OP
Mtgrizzlymn

Mtgrizzlymn

440d73ffcb5fb506afe44dac10f3d47a.jpg

Awesome vendor! If so tell Corey hi! From Les . He has helped me alot

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
1969 Paul. I'm pretty sure it had the 302, gears added after lift and tires I think. What ever they are they work great in all conditions for me so far. Just the rpms seemed high on the freeway.

This subject comes up plenty on this site. You'll get all sorts of recommendations for ratios, acceptable RPMs...%)

As you can tell, since it's your ride and under your conditions, you're going to be the best judge.

I'm with you. I usually don't pull out the car to just go down the street. I'm usually getting on the freeway and agree that constant 3K RPM is annoying.

Now there are some drivers that don't mind the revving, or aren't don't need to drive as fast. For those conditions, good enough.

I've got to agree with englewoodcowboy' recommendation. You could enjoy it now while gathering parts for a nice NV3550 swap.

Just know, you're not hurting the motor, just you nerves.;)

SHX669

Bronco Guru
This subject comes up plenty on this site. You'll get all sorts of recommendations for ratios, acceptable RPMs...%)

As you can tell, since it's your ride and under your conditions, you're going to be the best judge.

I'm with you. I usually don't pull out the car to just go down the street. I'm usually getting on the freeway and agree that constant 3K RPM is annoying.

Now there are some drivers that don't mind the revving, or aren't don't need to drive as fast. For those conditions, good enough.

I've got to agree with englewoodcowboy' recommendation. You could enjoy it now while gathering parts for a nice NV3550 swap.

Just know, you're not hurting the motor, just you nerves.;)
Ecactly - "What he said" --

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Paul are you from Wildhorses? I have wldhrs on my license plate.

Yep, that's me. Nice plates!
We should start collecting pics of them, hopefully from all 50 states to put up on our walls. Your state has to be the best though, with the most appropriate logo and everything.

I'll say hey to Cory when I head in next (theoretically on Wednesday). Can I smack him up side the head too, with a smile?;D
As long as it's from you, he'll probably understand.%)

Paul

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
And yes, you will not hurt the motor at those RPMS. I used to have a '73 21' Shamrock inboard boat and it was powered by a 302. That thing ran best at 3200 RPMS and ran days on end at that rpm with no issues. That is one thing a SBF can do and that is handle mid range RPMs like no body business.

OP
OP
Mtgrizzlymn

Mtgrizzlymn

Yep, that's me. Nice plates!

We should start collecting pics of them, hopefully from all 50 states to put up on our walls. Your state has to be the best though, with the most appropriate logo and everything.

I'll say hey to Cory when I head in next (theoretically on Wednesday). Can I smack him up side the head too, with a smile?;D

As long as it's from you, he'll probably understand.%)

Paul

You guys should collect those! That would be really cool and I would be the guy from montana