• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Salvage yard parts

AZ4x4

Loc.
Colorado Springs
So I live in El Paso and there are a ton of really big and good salvage yards. I'm building up my Bronco and I'm wondering what parts off of other vehicles will work on my 68 Bronco. I just picked up a blower out of a 92 F250. Getting that part got me thinking that if that works, how many other parts out there that are better built, less power using and all around better than what was available in the 60s and 70s. If any of you know of some parts I can swap out with better parts from a newer vehicle, please let me know. My next plan is to find an electric cooling fan out of a Ford vehicle. Any and all ideas and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Subscribed. Good question! I pulled a 6ga wiring harness from a late model expedition that included a 175 amp fuse block from a recommendation on this site. cost $8 and I used it to wire up the new 130 amp 1 wire alternator

OP
OP
A

AZ4x4

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Subscribed. Good question! I pulled a 6ga wiring harness from a late model expedition that included a 175 amp fuse block from a recommendation on this site. cost $8 and I used it to wire up the new 130 amp 1 wire alternator

That is a great idea. That is exactly why I posted that question. Can you dig up that recommendation?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
It's getting a lot more difficult to find much after most yards went to scrapping everything. I still find some trucks early enough to have useful parts. The valve covers on mid '80s early '90s small blocks are made of far thicker steel and work with the reusable steel gaskets that don't leak. They also have screw on oil filler caps. The '80s truck and Mustang spark plug wire routing and rubber distributor cap cover is a clean improvement to reliability when driving through water. If you find a blue strain relief Duraspark module, made by Motorcraft, it is a smart purchase, even if only as a spare. The same for a Motorcraft starter relay. Of course any 2100-2150 is great for parts. I also recommend the '78-'79 Bronco, F150-250 steering column. The turn signal switch and horn button work much better. The wheel is smaller at 15" and padded. All these parts look like they belong in an early Bronco, while incorporating big improvements.