• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sitting here in Iraq....Bronco building

nirvana

Contributor
Loc.
PNW
Well, i've been here now going on 6 months, the weather is beginning to get very hot.
The air stinks and the water tastes bad. but all i can think about are my broncos at home.
I have been concidering a 5 1/2 inch suspension system.and money is not an issue at the moment.
Currently my 74 has a basic 3 1/2 WH system that i really like. great road character and fine off road. for now.
if i could add anything i would start with a detroit locking rear end,23 gal fuel tank,and a good cage.
but i'm thinking of actually stripping it all down and framing up. powder coat and all new hardware.
all work will be handled by myself. and of coarse with this groups awesome knowledge base, i could use your tips and advice to build my dream machine bronco.
this will be a relatively quick build as i dont take years to complete work.
i'm no TV watcher, I find enjoyment in my shop with plenty of cold beers and good music to ferment my little visions of sorts. i love to work on stuff!

So....I would like to ask about Suspension set up.
I've been looking at WH and JD suspension kits... the 5 1/2 inch dudes with the radius arms and all.

are there any advantages in buying this stuff from either or is there a better route?
my main concern in this is not sacrificing street ride comfort...i still want my wife and kids to go with me without having there bones jarred loose.
and then there is the "cool" factor.
i really want to build a sweet "car show" bronco that is a DD.
Please help with this dilemma of choice....as i may purchace my parts ahead of getting back home.
my tire size of now is 33" i may increase this when i lift and when i re-gear for the locker, i am wondering about ratio without going to far...
70 mph would be great on some freeway cruising.
my 74 already has some goodies on it like a rear end from a 77,the heavy duty housing with big brakes, chevy disk brakes and TRO. a fresh 351w from a 69 mustang, fresh C4, and my newly found deep dish 15x8.5 slotted mags.
its freshly painted but i think i will do some two toning to it...
the one pictured by a member here had me drooling:p.
sorry for the long post,...i am truly hoping to get some info on the suspension stuff.
i like the duff radius arms but like the WH suspensions better...
so i'm looking for tried and true professional advice.
i want a street driven, capable climbing ,hunting rig.
i cant wait to strip this dude down and get the frame blasted and coated.
to put it on blocks and begin assembly will make up for the ongoing torment of being here.
if given the choice...with results,...money not the factor....what would you do with the suspension?
as that gets going,... i'll ask about electric cooling and fuel supply systems and the big amp alternators.best battery selection,and cages.
Thanks for the great site! Lenny Black

Heus33

Bronco Guru
First off - thanks for your service ;D

Secondly - 5.5" Suspension lift and DD are a little counter-intuitive. Once you go higher than 3.5" you'll start to loose that stability taht you'd really want when going 70 down the freeway.

From what I read - I think sticking with a 3.5" SL and some 33s or 35s will let you do all you want and more.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
X2 ON thanks for your service.Keep safe and get home.

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
First Welcome.
X2 on suspension, JMO dont go higher stay at 3 1/2". If you want to increase the cool factor try some 35" BFG Baja Radials. I think Chuck runs them on his Race Bronco and they look great.
If you want to drive your Bronco before the kids graduate from college dont take the body off for a quick build. Quick builds many times end up taking years. (dont ask how I know, just see my Avatar)

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
Thanks for your service, are you close to Ballad? My brother is there close to the Tigress river. I went the 5.5" James Duff and ya like the looks of it, think the 3.5" probably would have been better for road manners, so I have been told. I have yet to drive it down the road, as my three years of body off is almost completed.

OP
OP
nirvana

nirvana

Contributor
Loc.
PNW
cool!

i'm near baghdad.
..body off wouldnt take me very long at all. been restoring cars and trucks for many years and guesstimate a max time of two months.
concensus is to stay with the 3 1/2 inch lift.
no worries then, i'll go for the 23 gallon tank and locker.
possibly get a cage as well.... then some nice seats.
could probably get these items for around the same amount as the lift i was looking at.
i would still like to do the duffs radius arms to cure my caster and get my front end centered.
cant wait! thanks for your support and for helping spend wisely.

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Thank you for your service...

Similar to what you are looking for.
James duff 5.5 lift with arms, 35" tires....4.56 gears. Detroit soft locker in rear. While testing manners last summer I had it up to 70 on the highway. It handles nicely however I have not driven at highway speeds much.

The highway speeds did not bug me much however the heat coming from the firewall did. Still have a few things to work out ;)

Attachments

• lift1.jpg
    lift1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 36

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Hey I was doing the same thing last year while I was in Balad! Food was great, weather was hot and 12 hr days were rough! Not to mention the constant mortars dropping by every other day! And the camel spiders are a trip!!! But anyways....

I bought a 3.5-4" lift from JBG. It was the cheapest I could find but all I wanted was the height, not flex. I bought some upgrades to my 351W, intake, headers, carb, radiator, Flowkooler, exhaust, etc. I also bought new tires and rims. Some big name tire shops give Military Discounts, including 4 Wheel Parts! Tire Kingdom (NTW) gave me almost 15% off my 37" tires on 17"s w/ free mount & balance. Some of the EB websites give a Military Discount, you just gotta ask politely. It was nice not only coming home to a new baby boy, the UPS man was my Santa when I got home! Thx for your service and enjoy the Hazardous Pay Tax Free!!!!!!! Hurry home to your family! I hope I will never see another T-Wall for the rest of my life!!!!!

http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/26500/cat/500/ppuser/31426

OP
OP
nirvana

nirvana

Contributor
Loc.
PNW
funny!

yes,..12-15 hour days and 1 day off if i'm lucky inside of two weeks.
t-walls surround me everywhere like a maze.
summer heat coming on fast. dust storm today.
worst mud ever when it rains.
foul smelling laundry.
mortars...and the big boy voice.
my chu sanctuary.
bidi's
beat down 1151's
and counting down the paydays;D

thanks!

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I daily drive my 69 with a 5.5 lift. I don't do much highway driving but really good stiff shocks are a must. I chose bilstien 7100's they are fantastic at keeping me under controll at high speed. The worst part about a 5.5 lift is climbing in and out of it.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
yes,..12-15 hour days and 1 day off if i'm lucky inside of two weeks.
t-walls surround me everywhere like a maze.
summer heat coming on fast. dust storm today.
worst mud ever when it rains.
foul smelling laundry.
mortars...and the big boy voice.
my chu sanctuary.
bidi's
beat down 1151's
and counting down the paydays;D

thanks!

INCOMING, INCOMING, INCOMING!!!! I dont miss the giant voice OR THE FREAGIN C-RAM!!!!

If you don't already get them, subscribe to Bronco Driver Magazine. You will never put it down! Course I didn't know anything about Classic Broncos' website. Sure wudda helped pass the time. What branch are ya? I'm a maintainer in the AF.

ArmyCOL

Thanks for your service.

I am in the process of installing a 5.5 inch WH lift. I purchased it a couple of years ago and am now just finding the time to install it. Mine will not be a DD but will see some hardball driving.

Be safe and speedy return to CONUS.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the board and looks like you are gonna have a nice build to look forward to. Most importantly, be safe and god bless all you guys and gals for all you are doing out there. ;D

OP
OP
nirvana

nirvana

Contributor
Loc.
PNW
yep, alot of that lately

INCOMING, INCOMING, INCOMING!!!! I dont miss the giant voice OR THE FREAGIN C-RAM!!!!

If you don't already get them, subscribe to Bronco Driver Magazine. You will never put it down! Course I didn't know anything about Classic Broncos' website. Sure wudda helped pass the time. What branch are ya? I'm a maintainer in the AF.

getting active lately,..i'm ARNG.
i'll be looking for the Bronco magazine! Thanks for the replies.
Lenny Black