• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sloppy power steering

72BlueBronco

I feel my steering is way too loose. whats the best way to tighten it up?
I have power steering and a steering stabilizer on it.
Is there an adjustment on the steering box?
tia

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What steering box is it, and how old is it?
There really isn't an adjustment for excess wear, but people do it anyway. The preload adjuster screw on top of the sector shaft is supposed to be set at initial time of build and not used for taking up future slack, but up to a point that can work. Care is needed though, or doing so can actually increase/accelerate wear.
You can try it though, if your box is too far gone and is going to need rebuilding anyway.

Have you done the steering test to verify that all of the play is in the gearbox itself? Lots of things on the front of a Bronco can give a loose steering feel. Including loose trackbar mounts, wheel bearings, tie-rod ends and ball joints, etc.

Paul

OP
OP
72BlueBronco

72BlueBronco

Thanks for the reply

it's the stock 77 steering box with a saginaw pump.
I'm sure it's in the steering box. all the trackbar bushing are new polyurethane.

I guess I'll looking into a rebulid kit or replacing it.

Thanks again.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Have you inspected all connected steering and suspension components? Like both ends of the steering shaft spline connections for being tight? The flex(rag) joint connection for being oil soaked/dry rotted and falling apart? The pitman arm, tie rod ends tight?

I would not mess with the steering box preload adjustment screw, unless you are a pro, have experience and the proper tools Done incorrectly it can make the box lock up, and make worn out internals even worse.

Get a quality new one, get it rebuilt from a pro shop. Get a Red Head or Blue Top brand.

https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/shop?year=1977&make=Ford&model=Bronco

https://bluetopsteeringgears-com.3d...7-Ford-Bronco-Saginaw-Steering-Gear_p_25.html

Attachments

• psbx1.jpg
    psbx1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 31
  • psbx2.jpg
    psbx2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 29
  • psbx3.jpg
    psbx3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 27

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I just added 7-degree c bushings and had the steering box rebuilt (West Texas). My only regret was not doing it sooner.

OP
OP
72BlueBronco

72BlueBronco

Have you inspected all connected steering and suspension components? Like both ends of the steering shaft spline connections for being tight? The flex(rag) joint connection for being oil soaked/dry rotted and falling apart? The pitman arm, tie rod ends tight?

I would not mess with the steering box preload adjustment screw, unless you are a pro, have experience and the proper tools Done incorrectly it can make the box lock up, and make worn out internals even worse.

Get a quality new one, get it rebuilt from a pro shop. Get a Red Head or Blue Top brand.

https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/shop?year=1977&make=Ford&model=Bronco

https://bluetopsteeringgears-com.3d...7-Ford-Bronco-Saginaw-Steering-Gear_p_25.html

okay, I think I'll take your advise. rebuilt one it is. Thank you

OP
OP
72BlueBronco

72BlueBronco

I just added 7-degree c bushings and had the steering box rebuilt (West Texas). My only regret was not doing it sooner.

I have a 2" lift, would I need 7 degree C bushing?
rebuilt steering box it is.

Thank you.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
It depends on your alignment numbers but I don't recall anyone not needing the extra 7 degrees. Others will comment on this. All i can tell you, from my experience, is that you can't go wrong with better steering and better brakes.

pipeline010

If everything is tight (tie rods, drag links, etc) with no play, go ahead and tighten that Saginaw.

I had a little slop on mine and I tightened that Saginaw bolt by about 20 degrees. It's been perfect ever since. That was 2 years ago.

Edit -
Ya but be extremely careful. You'll wreck your box being too aggressive. I moved it like 5 degrees at a time and checked. Don't overdo it.