• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel bearing sloppy after chevy disc conversion

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
I jacked up my front end this morning to check things out, it's been six months and under 1000 miles since I did a disc conversion to the truck. Passenger side had a little vertical movement at the tire, so I figured the wheel nut needed adjusting. Pulled the locking hub, outer nut etc, and the inner nut was about right. So I checked everything else with the knuckles, but the movement is definitely in the hub/bearings, not the knuckle.
So I tightened the inner wheel nut a little at a time, until it was way over torqued, and the slop remains, but the wheel continues to rotate smoothly and with little effort. Normally if you over torque the inner nut, the hub/wheel won't rotate at all.
I figure I need new wheel bearings, but what am I looking for when I pull it apart? It seems to me that there must be an issue with the spacing of the bearings if the wheel nut can't clamp the hub to the spindle? Am I thinking about that right?
All swapped parts are from a kit, from one of the reputable vendors. Any thoughts are appreciated.

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Bad bearing race? Did you inspect the bearings? Did you lube the hell out of them during the original install?

OP
OP
67sport

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Bad bearing race? Did you inspect the bearings? Did you lube the hell out of them during the original install?
Haven't had a chance to pull it yet, and likely won't tomorrow either, so I'm stuck just thinking about it.
Yes bearings were packed properly, I feel pretty familiar with that part of a front axle. I'm hoping it will be obvious when I get it apart, or maybe someone has had the same problem. I've done a couple of the same disc swaps on d44's, and no issue. I'm wondering if there's a problem in the tolerance of the race locations in the hub and the spindle or it's threads?
Seems too new to have a bearing failure, and I think it's odd that I can't tighten the wheel nut to the point of increasing the drag on the rotating assembly, though I know under normal circumstances you wouldn't do it that way

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would take the caliper off and set it aside until you have this figured out. Actually start with checking that there is enough caliper to knuckle clearance after the first bit of pad wear, but that shouldn't be this issue, but check anyway.

Spindle bolts still tight?

Still in the bearings, take then apart and clean them well. Put it together dry, no seal. Will it adjust now? Grease can hide a lot, thus try a dry fit.

OP
OP
67sport

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
I would take the caliper off and set it aside until you have this figured out. Actually start with checking that there is enough caliper to knuckle clearance after the first bit of pad wear, but that shouldn't be this issue, but check anyway.

Spindle bolts still tight?

Still in the bearings, take then apart and clean them well. Put it together dry, no seal. Will it adjust now? Grease can hide a lot, thus try a dry fit.
Thanks for the suggested approach. Hopefully I can get an hour or two in the shop tomorrow and have a look.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very interested in what you find.
With all the discrepancies we’ve seen over recent years with things like the hubs, and perhaps now the spindles too, I’m almost afraid to find out what it is.

So far we haven’t run into that particular issue with the hubs, so I hope that’s not it. The only trouble we’ve had is a change in the depth of the splines for the locking hub section.
A minor thing, but creates a major headache when putting things together. I hope they didn’t try to cut corners on machining the area for the bearings too.

Even replacement spindles used to be made in the USA. Nowadays though I find that highly unlikely and even Spicer brand (if they still exist as an entity?) probably sources them overseas.
All it might take is machining slightly fewer threads and that could do it.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My guess is you used the wrong wheel bearings. Inner diameter doesn't fit the spindle snug.

Tuck73

Contributor
I did a conversion as well and didn’t tighten the locking nuts enough. Had to lull it apart again. While it was apart, I replaced the bearings and races and tightened the spindle nuts correctly this time. . However, it Still gets a little squirrelly when braking. I’m anxious to see what you find.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wonder if the threads are buggered a little bit and the inner adjusting nut is simply not going any further. Giving you a false torque feeling but it's not actually tightening down on the bearings. Could happen.

Paul

OP
OP
67sport

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Haven't had a chance to get things apart with mothers day yesterday, and it looks like after work today will be the top end for my boys KTM, as tracking info says parts will arrive today.
I'll choose to feel fortunate that I have to put my stuff on the back burner for a few more days, life can always be worse!