• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Slow to build oil pressure after installing Wild Horses oil pan???

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Before the pan gets removed again (and all the hassle that it entails) is there any reason that they shouldn’t remove the sending unit and check the extension tube?
And then maybe try a different sending unit just in case?
Or at the very least check the tension on the push on connector for the sending unit?

Just on the off chance that it’s one of those “coincidental failures“ that we talk about a lot here.
Doing some simple checks now might save some big hassle later.
Or at the very least give him a easy job/Zen moment kind of a thing before the big battle to remove the pan begins again.😉🙄🤪

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Before the pan gets removed again (and all the hassle that it entails) is there any reason that they shouldn’t remove the sending unit and check the extension tube?
And then maybe try a different sending unit just in case?
Or at the very least check the tension on the push on connector for the sending unit?

Just on the off chance that it’s one of those “coincidental failures“ that we talk about a lot here.
Doing some simple checks now might save some big hassle later.
Or at the very least give him a easy job/Zen moment kind of a thing before the big battle to remove the pan begins again.😉🙄🤪
That was my initial thought too, but you’d prob notice that you have low oil pressure from the sound…but maybe not every pays close attention to the sound at startup.

Certainly a good thing to check first, good call! Either a different oil pressure gauge or a cheap oil pressure test kit could do wonders to be sure!

OP
OP
Nothing Special

Nothing Special

And you are sure you put enough oil in it right (it says 5 quarts in the pan, so a little more total)? Maybe with a more shallow pan, your dipstick is no longer accurate? Or is this the kit that came with a dipstick and you did not properly install it...or something? (just a thought) Are you supposed to cut that dipstick or does it come properly set up?....
The pan came with a new dipstick. It's supposed to be a 5 qt pan, I put 5 qts in it and the dipstick says I'm good. So I'm sure not enough oil isn't the problem.

Before the pan gets removed again (and all the hassle that it entails) is there any reason that they shouldn’t remove the sending unit and check the extension tube?....

That was my initial thought too, but you’d prob notice that you have low oil pressure from the sound…but maybe not every pays close attention to the sound at startup.

Certainly a good thing to check first, good call! Either a different oil pressure gauge or a cheap oil pressure test kit could do wonders to be sure!

It definitely sounds different at startup. There's more of a sliding/scraping noise that goes away just before the oil pressure gauge starts climbing. I'm confident that it's an oil delivery problem, not a sender/gauge problem.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
The pan came with a new dipstick. It's supposed to be a 5 qt pan, I put 5 qts in it and the dipstick says I'm good. So I'm sure not enough oil isn't the problem.

It definitely sounds different at startup. There's more of a sliding/scraping noise that goes away just before the oil pressure gauge starts climbing. I'm confident that it's an oil delivery problem, not a sender/gauge problem.
Ok, then no need to bother with the gauge check. If the sound smooths out at the same time the gauge jumps, then it's accurate. Don't start it.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Once you take the pan off, pull the distributor and run the oil pump pickup in a bucket using a drill. It may make a mess but you can see how the pump is running and feeding while someone watches the gauge.

OP
OP
Nothing Special

Nothing Special

Problem solved, but I'm going to have to fall on my sword for this one. After dropping the pan I took the pickup tube off the pump and found this:

80-dsc_4623_000c582b7670f7fe00f4c3b73c54e2ed77f5cbae.jpg

Obviously I wasn't very careful when I put that gasket in last time :eek: So yes, I had a "slight" leak on the suction side.

After putting it back together (correctly!) with a new gasket it took maybe 3-5 seconds to build oil pressure on the first start-up. And then after being run briefly and then left to sit for about an hour it built pressure within a second after starting. Problem found and solved, that's the good news, so I'll try to focus on it that way

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
On one hand that totally sucks but on the other, that is totally awesome that it’s a simple problem that you found quickly and didn’t have to get new parts one by one and continue having the problem.

Congrats on the fix!

mrdrnac

Contributor
Wow, great work diagnosing and finding the fix. Love it when it is an easy fix also.