• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

So many power steering kits !

jerrybromley

Contributor
As I build my 67 Bronco I keep finding upgrades I want to do . I have upgraded from a manual to an automatic . With that upgrade I purchased a used steering column from a 76(I think) I have now decided to put in power steering as well. But WOW! So many choices.
I see the original setups are pretty expensive and there appears there are multiple turning ratios as well as multiple manufacturers available.
I don't expect to do any extreme off roading but it will spend some time in the woods on 2tracks and light dune riding. As well as cruises on old country roads.
Any suggestions on how or what to choose to make this upgrade? ?:?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Lot depends on your budget and skill level. These days actually having options is huge.

If you are looking new, The Delphi box is what you are looking at. Sounds like that will match your needs very well. Most of the venders have there own version of how to make a kit out of this box. From just the box and you figure out how to make a steering shaft fig and do what you want for a power steering pump all the way to everything you need. Prices reflect this.

Engine swaps make the power steering pump a wild card. Stock engine configurations are not that common. Hard to make a kit when you don't know (and often the customer doesn't even know either) what they are trying to attach the pump to.

Abd a few good junkyard choices as well, mush less expensive, lot more fab work.

OP
OP
jerrybromley

jerrybromley

Contributor
Thanks Broncobowsher , Yes I am looking at "new" and although I did upgrade to a V8 I went with a 289 so I think pretty close to stock.
In addition to the Delfi you mentioned I see that many kits are offering Borgeson steering as well.
There also seems to be some variables when it comes to the lower steering shaft. Which I will need and am not sure which to get

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Delphi makes steering boxes for many OEMs. The new Delphi box shares the guts and engineering with 1st gen Xterra and Frontier as well as Jeep Grand Cherokee (some years). Differences in the mounting feet where the box attaches to the frame, Sector shaft diameter and spline count, input shaft diameter and spline count, and overall tuning. But the basic box (I think it is a 600 series) is the same. Pretty sure it is also one of the aftermarket power steering boxes for early mustangs as well. I believe it was Duff who first got them to build a Bronco specific steering box and other venders have picked it up as well.

For the lower shaft. Most people are starting with a manual steering shaft. Which you mar remember is just a solid rod all the way to the steering box. You have a power steering upper (I think there were a couple of versions of this). So you are a little unusual in that you already have a power steering column but are looking to adapt that to an aftermarket power steering box. Pick a good vender and have a talk with them

I once had a recipe for a junkyard build using a factory power steering column, a Nissan titan under dash flex coupler, a Mercury Villager intermediate shaft, Xterra steering box, Jeep sector shaft that fit a Bronco pitman arm. Not easy to recreate. Took a lot of donor vehicles and just the right ones to put that together. I got lucky. Actually didn't do the pitman arm, learned about that later but it would have worked.

Now you state you swapped in a 289. So we know it isn't stock. The brackets and pulleys are the next challenge. There were a LOT of different combinations used over the years, and often many used in the same year and even same model. It is often a challenge to get a pump bolted up and belts lined up.

OP
OP
jerrybromley

jerrybromley

Contributor
Thanks Broncobowsher, I know I just learned a lot and I'm sure others will too!
Think I still have a manual shaft around here somewhere. I think I will order the kit the 289 brackets are pretty common in those kits

OP
OP
jerrybromley

jerrybromley

Contributor
It figures...I ordered a kit from Bronco graveyard and it went BACK ORDER ! :p

OP
OP
jerrybromley

jerrybromley

Contributor
Well my kit has arrive and it's time to install. I have waited to install the motor so I have plenty of room to work. It appears in order to do this kit I will have to grind double D's on my steering column shaft . ( looks like just grinding flats on the shaft 180 degrees apart )
I have looked around on line and have only seen it briefly mentioned. Am I understanding this right? I hate to screw up this steering shaft and have to find another ?:?

OP
OP
jerrybromley

jerrybromley

Contributor
It has been awhile but I now have the Bronco on the road.
I have never had power steering in a Bronco...WOW is this nice !

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Congrats!
Sorry I missed your earlier question about the DD mod. Must've been busy that day!
But for anyone reading this in the future, we have a video showing how to make the modification on the Wild Horses website here: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/steeringshaftfabrication/tech_faq
Somewhere I think there is a full-size viewable version, but I only found our small page version at the moment. Maybe you have to go to our YouTube page for that.

Paul