• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Solutions for mounting spare tire on custom tire rack?

barronj

Bronco Guru
I can get a 6" plate & make it look like I want (I chose 4" at first but I would prefer 3 mounting points/studs)

I can go to the yard & get an axle & cut the end off

I can use a hub

What are your preferences? I would rather not use a hub.

u10072

Bronco Guru
I personally think its kinda hodge podge looking. To me if you are really worried about hubs I would carry one as an extra with bearings greased and ready to go but that's just me

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For the work, get a busted hub, cut the hub face down as required and such but keep three mounting studs, or more, then weld that to your post. I would think it would be easier to cut down to what you need than to measure, drill and install studs in the right place.

OP
OP
barronj

barronj

Bronco Guru
For ease of procurement, I'm leaning towards the plate.

3/16" or 1/4"?

I have a line on some suzuki & cj 7 stuff, so if that falls in my lap, I will avoid the plate idea.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Here's how I do it...
-measure the backside of the wheels mounting flange
-put that measurement (I like a round shape) on the steel
-hold the cut piece in place and mark the 3 holes--an extra pair of hands is nice here
-drill 9/16" holes
-put the 1 1/2" 1/2"-20 bolts through the wheel and bolt the plate to the wheel with all 3 bolts and lug nuts.
-flip over and weld up
-then put that piece on the carrier.

I have a template now that I use but that's how I did it the first time. I still do the bolt up method to completely insure a perfect fit.

70_Steve

Old Guy
For ease of procurement, I'm leaning towards the plate.

3/16" or 1/4"?
Iwouldn't go any less than 1/4". Mine is 1/4" and holds a 35" spare. Some of the premade plates from the fabrication parts vendors are 3/8".

OP
OP
barronj

barronj

Bronco Guru
looks like I'll be using an old axle. A friend, who's hooked me up on a few things, has an old jeep axle that I'm picking up today. Progress resumes!