• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Solutions to a few problems I had: brake lights, turn signals, horn and coolant

countrypyhysician

Loc.
Florence, Alabama
I wanted to post some solutions I found to a couple of my problems.
1974 Bronco, 302 roller from a Mercury Mountaineer, Original wires (one can hope to change them out one day)

I was having constant issues with the horn shocking me (and intermittently working) as well as the brake lights and turn signals acting funny.

For the horn:
I replaced the steering wheel hub and adapter. It worked at first but again started shocking me.
I tinkered with the horn button to make sure the connections were good. No luck
See below for how I replaced the run signal switch

For the brake lights and turn signals:
Where to start.....multiple issues because of multiple gremlins.
The grounds on the back tail lights were not good. It is grounded through the tail light housing itself. The paint on the body kept it from grounding well.... so I created a screw through the tail light assembly and attached a wire from this to the body. I also added multiple ground straps to the Bronco.
The previous owner added a towing harness to the front and back. It was connected with wire nuts and above that was connected incorrectly. I unhooked both, connected them this time correctly and with solder/heat shrink.
I replaced both the turn signal flasher relay and the hazard flasher relay.
I removed the old turn signal switch in the steering column. That was an absolute headache but it is done. This helped at first but I still had issues with the brake lights.

So what solved the remaining wiring problems for the lights and horn? The turn signal lever. It was screwing in too far and making a connection with the turn signal switch inside the steering column. It was also touching the side of the steering column causing it to ground. It was by happenstance that I figured this out. I then cut off part of the threads so it would not go as deep and make a connection with the turn signal switch. The horn no longer shocks me and the brake lights and turn signals work like a champ. What a headache.

As far as my coolant goes, I replaced the coolant a few months ago but the reservoir turned to brown water quickly. I drained it again and this time added distilled water mixed with a flush. I ran it for 20 minutes with the heater on then drained it. It looked like mud. I decided to start flushing with distilled water in the same process as described above until it became mostly clear. It took 12 rounds of distilled water. I then of course replaced it with coolant. It maed a difference in the cooling for sure.

I hope this helps someone.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the writeup. Lots of work, but lots of success!
Just curious, since you have one of the dreaded '74's (steering column-wise that is) and we were just talking about them last night, is your hazard switch on the dash, or on the column? And does your horn use a relay, or not?
Since '74 was the first year for the column mounted hazard switch and the relay both, and for multiple changes to steering column parts like bearings and such, curious minds would like to know.
And to top it all off, in what month was yours built? Hopefully it still has the certification label/sticker on the driver's B-pillar where you can find that info.

Thanks!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And speaking of your coolant... I hate that brown goo!
Sounds like someone, at some point, put the wrong type of anti-freeze in the system.
Are you running a stock type copper/brass radiator, or an aluminum one?
Either way, glad you got the water coming out cleanly.

Paul

OP
OP
countrypyhysician

countrypyhysician

Loc.
Florence, Alabama
My hazard switch is on the column.... but it is also an aftermarket Ididit tilt column.
Yes my horn does have a relay.
It is a May of 1974 Bronco.
It is an aftermarket aluminum radiator. Fan is electric. I'm trying to decide if I want to add a shroud.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ididit direct-fit Ford type, or generic? If generic did you get a Chevy steering wheel and adapter?
Just curious, but sounds like you got the issue all fixed with the shortening of the turn signal stalk. Good detective work!

Paul

OP
OP
countrypyhysician

countrypyhysician

Loc.
Florence, Alabama
To be honest, I am unsure. It was all with the bronco a year ago when I bought it. I have the original installation instructions from the previous owner for the steering column. It says Ididit "Retrofit Steering Column for the 1974-77 Bronco." The steering wheel was a Forever Sharp package that came with the Bronco as well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK, sounds like a direct fit style meant specifically for the bronco and using Ford replacement parts like turn signal switches.
So hopefully the steering wheel and its adapter were designed for the 74 through 77 style, rather than the 73 and earlier version.