• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedo a little jumpy, Odometer doesn't move

chrisd0729

Loc.
Churchville, PA
I did some researching and came up with little info... anyone have some ideas on how to troubleshoot an Odometer that isn't working at all while the speedo seems close to acccurate however, is jumping a bit?

I'm guessing the gear and cable are spinning because the speedo is working. Amd maybe there's something wrong inside the odometer since that's the only piece that's not working?

Hoping not to pull the cluster out and rebuild it, if possible.

Thanks in advance,

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Just had the same issue while on a day trip. Figured when i got home i'd try to turn the odometer " numbers " back and forth to free them up. But after I had to back up quite a distance it freed itself and started working - go figure.
You might try removing the speedo cable from the tranny , remove the gear and attach a drill to the cable and run it in reverse for a bit -- ??

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Sounds like your head unit is locked up or possibly stripped. The odometer is a direct gear drive so with it not moving sounds to me like something is stripped out. The speedo I believe uses a magnetic wheel that spins and a spring for resistance. With it being jumpy and your odometer not working again tells me it is binding or stripped. Time to have it rebuilt or find a new one.
Check out classygauges.com

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi. I can't say anything about the odometer, but a jumping speedometer can often be fixed by lubing the speedometer cable. Good luck

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I use AGS Kable-Ease. Found it at Ace Hardware. It worked great for me.
73f2bd7538a835eba7211498c5d3df25.jpg

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Just FYI I bought the new Ford Licensed head unit that JBG sells and am very impressed with it. It operates smooth, the odometer drum is updated to modern drums where it will not reverse off miles and all of the drive gears are machined brass for the odometer. Takes a few minutes to pop an e clip, slide the drum out and roll it to match my old odometer and went right back together.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Sounds like your head unit is locked up or possibly stripped. The odometer is a direct gear drive so with it not moving sounds to me like something is stripped out. The speedo I believe uses a magnetic wheel that spins and a spring for resistance. With it being jumpy and your odometer not working again tells me it is binding or stripped. Time to have it rebuilt or find a new one.
Check out classygauges.com

Right,
The odometer working tells you the cable is working. The odometer is directly driven by the cable. The speedo is driven by the same cable too, however it's driven by a magnetic drum which attracts the needle.