• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

speedometer was working, now nothing

anoblefox

Contributor
After 309k miles the speedo was jumping wildly and lubing it this time did nothing. Ordered a new cable and installed and now no indication at all, either MPH or miles traveled. Could the fatal problem be at the transfer case end; is the gear nylon or plastic and broken? I guess I could hook up a drill motor to the transfer case end of the cable and have someone check for any indication. I need some inexpensive advice on how to determine the proper procedure to proceed!

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
Plus, you’d be able to inspect the gear when you pull the cable out of the transfer case.

OP
OP
anoblefox

anoblefox

Contributor
Well, DUH! Today I walked by the cart with tools from speedo cable change and I noticed something that I overlooked. Yep, right there on the end of the old cable was the gear that I failed to change over. No wonder. I know that I am getting old, but this is ridiculous! In my defense, I had a heck of a time getting the cable end through the firewall because there have been added wiring due to the fuel injection, then trouble making the connection at the rear of the speedo. I did the transfer case last and was spent physically and was rushing to complete the job to beat the heat of the day.

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
:) it happens to everyone at some point. At least you found the issue and it’s an easy fix.
If this happened to me, I probably would have already thrown out the old cable, with the gear still attached, and would be tearing down the transfer case wondering how that thing fell off inside there...