• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starting 1966 U13 Bronco Rebuild

adeberge

Loc.
St.Louis, MO
Hello all! I'm new to the page and I have lots of questions about a build project that I'm contemplating. I've had a 1966 U13 with a 6 cylinder engine for about 12 years that I've decided to breathe new life into. The truck has been sitting and decaying most of the last 12 years. Here is a link to a youtube video that I posted that shows the bronco and I discuss a little about my thoughts for it along with some dialogue about me. I don't know much about auto mechanics and was looking for some help defining the direction I should take it.

Link:(I hope this link works)
https://youtu.be/8EY156ScbpM

After watching the video and understanding my situation, I'm looking for input about 2 things to start:

1. Keep the straight 6 or swap in a V8.
2. I've been approached by a colleague of my wife who has offered me a 1990 Ford Bronco with 302 HO with a new process 435 4 speed cast iron transmission. It has 80,000 miles and a granny lower gear. He is offering the whole truck to my for free. Is this something that would be useful to me? Would I be able to use any other systems- ie Disc brakes, power steering, accessories???

I'm planning on removing the body and refinishing, blasting and painting the frame, rewiring, reworking front and back suspension with stock components, redoing fuel and brake systems and adding a 1" body lift. I'll add oversized tires but nothing crazy. The truck will be used for cruising around town in fair weather only. It will see virtually no interstates, or off-roading.

It's ok to talk to me like I'm 5 years old because I'm ignorant about nearly everything that I've read on this forum regarding engine and drivetrain discussions.

Thanks for the input.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Welcome, that's far from a parts bronco even if it weren't a u13. That deserves a restoration of some sort, even if it's not a frame off. I'm a "once a u13, it should always look like a u13" guy though. No crazy engine swaps etc, clean it up, replace things here and there while you drive it. Anything your grandpa added to it, that would definitely have to stay as is, those were his touches and additions that are priceless imo.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like a very solid starting point! Dont worry about the engine swap and stuff yet, get it running and stopping and drive it as is for a while till you decide more informatively which direction you want to go. I bet it wouldn't take a lot to get it running and stopping ! Where are you located? Some one will be close by to help you out probably.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
U13

The U13 is a very nice project for restoration. I would keep it stock; attached are a couple we have done. Hope this is inspiration for you. Mark in San Diego; Beach City Broncos

Attachments

• 66 u13 restoration 035.jpg
    66 u13 restoration 035.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 66 roadster (restored) 023.jpg
    66 roadster (restored) 023.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_6788.jpg
    DSC_6788.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_6781.jpg
    DSC_6781.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_6782.jpg
    DSC_6782.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 66 roadster (restored) 012.jpg
    66 roadster (restored) 012.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 66 u13 restoration 018.jpg
    66 u13 restoration 018.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 50

mrdrnac

Contributor
I vote for keeping it and putting it back to stock also. I swapped out everything in my U13, but that was 40 years ago when it was worth nothing and the U13 rarity wasn't even thought of yet, at least not by me!

Last edited:

Davidr34

Contributor
Loc.
Molalla or
Looks like a solid start, need rockers and inner fenders for sure. I would restore it. Good luck With it!

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Welcome. For some reason your video stopped working around 11 minutes for me.

You have a great platform to start with. I just picked up a 66 U13 and felt pretty good about the shape it's in. Yours is even better!

The nice thing is for starting to learn more about mechanics this is about as simple as it gets. I agree with keeping it as original as you can while making it safe to drive. For running around town and doing the things you said you wanted it to do the 6cyl will work just fine. Easy for me to say since I have broncos with V8s. There is no reason you can't have a carbureted and points motor that is reliable to drive.

Your plate showed it has been in Colorado. If that is where you live we have some great members here that might be willing to help you with the finer points.

Ask questions here and don't worry about it. That's what forums are for and this one is the best.

You have one original hubcap on it now do you have the other three?

What is the serial number? That will tell you how early of a build it is.

It was good to see how excited your helpers are. This could be a good bonding project for all. Just take lots of pictures.

Looking forward to your progress.

Major Tom

Contributor
my vote is keep it original , you wont regret it. you will turn heads every place you go.

Attachments

• fall 1.jpg
    fall 1.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 24

elan

Loc.
s
Keep it stock. The quarters need to be corrected along with other items. If you feel the need to, heaven forbid, do modifications, then sell it to a one of us 13 guys. Take the dough and buy something more to your liking. The art of driving slow is a treat once learned.

Specracer

That looks like a very solid 13 to begin with. Im another stock guy! I would restore it to stock spec. Only 5k U13's ever built.

Tonyduc

I have a 1966 6 cylinder also that I'm restoring. I rebuilt the 6, it has plenty of power for me since they are very torquey engines and I believe the gearing is lower on the six version. A lot of useful information on Fordsix.com and if you are going to a machinist try and find one familiar with the Ford six - their website has a list of recommended machinists by state. I'm slowing adding my build to a blog https://www.dinos-garage.net.