• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering column info

madmedic881

Loc.
owingsville, KY
Ok guys I have 2 questions for ya. I was looking at after market steering columns for my bronco build. Will a 28" fit and function I have read that a 30 will. I am 6'5" with 42" sleeves. I need all the room I can get. Also what is a luber? I have seen it on here but never knew what it was.

Thanks

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Luber I believe means lifted uncut bronco.
There are somewhat generic columns you can get from Summit that are rather inexpensive compared to our vendors. There is I believe a specific length that everyone seems to be using. I will let those fellers who have done it chime in.
I am 6' 4". So I feel your pain Bro.

broncojo

Loc.
Lewis Run, PA
I just finished up putting a ebay one in mine, if your looking to keep it in the same place as far as spacing from the dash then a 30" would be the minimum. I went with a 32" and have a little bit sticking out from the factory mount on the firewall, inside is the same as stock distance wheel. These have no mounts so you will have to buy one or fabricate a mount for your dash. They are also 2" in diameter and have a 1" DD output shaft. The switch for the turnsignals was a little cheap I thought but you get what you pay for.

One more thing they also usually come with a 9 bolt steering wheel adapter, so your steering wheel choices are limited unless you buy another adapter. I paid as much for a wheel as I paid for the column.

Buckeye Rob

Loc.
Hurst, TX
Damn, you've got the arms of a 7 footer! If you played ball you must've blocked some shots! I'm 6'4" with a 37" sleeve. I've got a 13" grant wheel with like a 3 1/2" dish and moved my seat brackets back 3", I'll probably still go to a wheel with less dish. You might try that and find a wheel with no dish. I've seen some guys running Le Carra wheels that look like they have no dish and you can check Grant's site too.

OP
OP
M

madmedic881

Loc.
owingsville, KY
Ok thanks guys I appreciate all the info. Bob how hard was it to move the seat back? What all was involved. Did you use the stock brackets or what?

broncoradio

In regard to aftermarket steering columns, I ordered a cheap 32" off of ebay and for two year I messed with it and adjusted and it never shifted or felt right and also the harness within the column was shorting out. A few weeks ago I ordered a ididit from wild horses 4x4 and it was a true 1976 factory replacement tilt wheel unit. No fussing with the steering linkage like others and no lengthen or shorting factory automatic shift linkage, and the factory sheering wheel could also be use with no adapter. I would spend the money again if I had to. I am not as tall as ya'll but the tilt wheel make it very comfortable on longer drives and wheeling off road it just makes it more convenient.

Buckeye Rob

Loc.
Hurst, TX
I just measured 3" back from each factory hole and drilled holes. I used the same seat and brackets. One day I'll weld the bolts into the floorboard and maybe add some metal for additional support but I just used some big fender washers underneath. The good thing is with long arms it isn't difficult to fish the bolt through from the top and slide the washer and nut on underneath the truck.

hammer189

Loc.
South Atlanta
If you got an aux. tank you will probable have to drop it.
Make sure new holes are not in floor x-member if you have an aux. tank. Mine were at first and the nut stopped the aux. tank from going up all the way.

Buckeye Rob

Loc.
Hurst, TX
If you got an aux. tank you will probable have to drop it.
Make sure new holes are not in floor x-member if you have an aux. tank. Mine were at first and the nut stopped the aux. tank from going up all the way.

Good call. I forgot I'd already removed my aux tank.