• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering issues on 74 Sport (need help)

Luckie1127

Contributor
Loc.
Greenville South Carolina
Hey guys, I need some help, if possible. Purchased a 74 Ford sport and here's a little about it.
2.5" lift and 2" body
302 Auto with a 4R70 Trans
Running 33/12.50/15 MT's
Just replaced the Adjustable steering linkage and still drives awful. Steering is super sensitive and honestly not much play in the wheel. I've not driven it over 35-40 as it doesn't feel safe. So I don't think its the steering box. I'm no mechanic but have a couple friends helping me with everything. I do have an adjustable track bar on order, when it's released from backorder I'll install it as well.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Brian

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Can you give some more info on what specifically is the issue. The short wheel base on these trucks makes the steering feel “quick”. If you are used to modern cars or trucks with variable ratio steering it takes some getting used to.
Does the truck wander or hunt?
Does it have death wobble?

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
phred beat me to it....

The starting point will be to provide info/pictures of your front end, taken from the front, parallel to your front axle. Does it have dropped pitman arm, track bar drop bracket or riser, etc. pictures will help to figure it out.
We need to know if drag link and tie rod are parallel to each other, the angle of them is less important. To post pictures you need to be a contributor ($12 /year and it helps the site) or use a 3rd party hosting service.
Condition of tires, alignment, and more all affect handling, and can be figured out.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Also the age of the tires can make a difference even if they “look” brand new.

Randy

OP
OP
Luckie1127

Luckie1127

Contributor
Loc.
Thanks guys, let me join so I can post pictures for you. Phred, I understand its not going to drive like a modern car but it should drive and feel stable at 50-55mph i would think. I'll take pics tomorrow, and post them up for everyone to assess.
Thanks so much everyone

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
let me join so I can post pictures for you
Follow this to become a contributor. Seriously will be the best 12.00 you spend this year!!
https://classicbroncos.com/photoupload.shtml
What is your steering doing (or not doing)? Wandering? Pulling? Darting. Not returning to center? Shaking or wobbling?? All of the above????
Without seeing your setup it's difficult to even start as there's a ton of variables it could be.

Tire pressure can make things feel really squirrely if over inflated. When I had my tires put on they had them at like 55lbs and my truck was all over the place.

U-bolts that aren't torqued to spec can cause big issues as well.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’ll add in radius arm bushings, are all 4 there on the frame? Does it self center when making a sharp turn like at an intersection? Other thing is take it to any an alignment shop and ask them to check it and get a print out of the the alignment. Share a picture of that with us, it’s possible that it’s in dire need of something that is important. If the steering feels tight and doesn’t have play the alignment sheet will tell a lot.

At the moment your throwing parts at it and they may be completely unrelated, like an adjustable track bar, they can help fine tune steering wheel alignment, and the axle being centered but actually does very little for how it drives, especially with a 2-1/2” lift.

Another is tire pressure is often way over looked and it’s free to try. Many of us run as low as 20psi in our 33’s for optimal driving. I’ve had some that you couldn’t hold on the road at the pressure listed on the sidewall.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I'll second what Yeller said. The bushings would be my first guess as a suspect. A bad bushing will cause the rig to dart when going down the road.
I had a brand new C bushing split and it caused some interesting driving experiences.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Another is tire pressure is often way over looked and it’s free to try. Many of us run as low as 20psi in our 33’s for optimal driving. I’ve had some that you couldn’t hold on the road at the pressure listed on the sidewall.
free to check. I run @ 25lbs for best handling on my setup.

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
I'll second what Yeller said. The bushings would be my first guess as a suspect. A bad bushing will cause the rig to dart when going down the road.
I had a brand new C bushing split and it caused some interesting driving experiences.
Yup, and worn track bar bushings will cause all sorts of issues.

OP
OP
Luckie1127

Luckie1127

Contributor
Loc.
I have attached three new pics of the front end. Happy to take more pics as needed. Checked tire pressure on the 33/12.50/15 and it's at 30psi all around. New steering linkage installed but the base bracket the track bar fits around wont allow me to re-install it as it's at an angle that wont allow the right side to slide in the slot. We live in the Greenville South Carolina area and i'm not aware of a local shop to provide help.
Appreciate any insight you guys may share.

Attachments

• IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 47

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Can’t tell, but it doesn’t look like you’ve got a drop Pittman arm. With a lift, the drop arm will help with the problem. Just a thought.

Randy

OP
OP
Luckie1127

Luckie1127

Contributor
Loc.
Can’t tell, but it doesn’t look like you’ve got a drop Pittman arm. With a lift, the drop arm will help with the problem. Just a thought.

Randy
Speedrdr, Are you saying i need a different one with the lift and mine looks stock? I can take another pic to show it, if needed. And to answer, what is driving like? It's super sensitive, turn the wheel slightly and it's a darty feeling. no death wobble or anything of that sorts. Just crazy sensitive. As previously stated, haven't driven it over 35-45 mph bc it's so sensitive, with very little play in the wheel. I do think the stabilizer kit will help center the front end, as I can see its shifted slightly.
If I look at Tom's fully indexed drop pittman arm, it's totally different than mine... maybe this is one culprit Randy.

Attachments

• pittmanarm.jpg
    pittmanarm.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Checked tire pressure on the 33/12.50/15 and it's at 30psi all around.
What’s the maximum pressure rating as indicated on the side of the tire? 30 might be just about right for the front, but it’s probably too much for the rear.
However, it’s not likely to cause your current issues.
New steering linkage installed but the base bracket the track bar fits around wont allow me to re-install it as it's at an angle that wont allow the right side to slide in the slot.
It looks like it’s attached now. And you said you’ve been driving it?
So are you saying it’s a bear to get in and out? That’s normal for any amount of lift and a stock, not adjustable track bar.
The beauty of the adjustable one is you can change the angle of the Upper eye to allow it to slip right into the bracket.
In a pinch, if you have a fairly big pipe wrench, you can put the wrench on the track bar and twist it while you’re raising it up into the frame bracket. I’ve done that several times.
We live in the Greenville South Carolina area and i'm not aware of a local shop to provide help.
Appreciate any insight you guys may share.
What about an alignment shop that can give you your readout? And maybe set the toe-in to factory spec while they’re at it.
Most jobs won’t adjust caster or camber, but they can at least tell you what you have so you know what you’re dealing with.

I dropped Pitman arm will help the angle, but you need to dropped track bar bracket to keep the two bars parallel.

And while you’re waiting for all this, you can do the test where you need a helper to turn the wheel back-and-forth while you watch what’s going on under the truck.
Leave the tires on the ground with the full weight of the vehicle on them. Have the helper wiggle the steering wheel back-and-forth about a half a turn in each direction while you watch every steering and suspension component.
From where the gearbox is mounted to the frame, to all the tie rod ends, to the track bar and brackets, to the wheels and ball joints.
This test will also highlight improperly adjusted wheel bearings. Which is another potential area to cause problems.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Stabilizers don’t change the location of anything. Only the track bar can do that. And that’s where the adjustable one, or the drop bracket, come to play. As soon as you lift the bronco over stock height, the front axle shifts to the driver side.

Turn the steering wheel, both directions lock to lock. Count how many total turns the steering wheel goes.
If it’s less than four, that’s one reason for the itchiness.
If it’s 4 1/2, that’s a stock 76/77 box.
If it’s six turns that’s a stock 74 box.

The next thing is to check the diameter of the steering wheel. Many people put smaller steering wheels on these trucks for one reason or another, and that increases the sensitivity.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
By the way, thanks for the pictures and becoming a contributor!
The old saying that pictures are worth 1000 words is true. At least it is the way I type! :)

OP
OP
Luckie1127

Luckie1127

Contributor
Loc.
Stabilizers don’t change the location of anything. Only the track bar can do that. And that’s where the adjustable one, or the drop bracket, come to play. As soon as you lift the bronco over stock height, the front axle shifts to the driver side.

Turn the steering wheel, both directions lock to lock. Count how many total turns the steering wheel goes.
If it’s less than four, that’s one reason for the itchiness.
If it’s 4 1/2, that’s a stock 76/77 box.
If it’s six turns that’s a stock 74 box.

The next thing is to check the diameter of the steering wheel. Many people put smaller steering wheels on these trucks for one reason or another, and that increases the sensitivity.
it's definitely shifted to the driver side and the adjustable track bar ( on backorder) will get me centered again. Steering box is a stock 74 6 turn (best i can tell) and you're right, it has more rotations to one side vs the other. Rig does have an updated slightly smaller steering wheel on it as well. The stock pittman arm appears to need updated to a full indexed one to update the geometry. Appreciate all your insight and feedback as i'm no mechanic at all, but do understand the needs here.

OP
OP
Luckie1127

Luckie1127

Contributor
Loc.
By the way, thanks for the pictures and becoming a contributor!
The old saying that pictures are worth 1000 words is true. At least it is the way I type! :)
My father had a 66 and then a 72 and i grew up driving these rigs and love them. Found this one in Montana, a 2 owner with all original body/paint and just good patina. Now to get it driving properly so me and the family can enjoy it in south Carolina. happy to join and contribute, thanks for the welcome aboard !