• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering wiring - Blue with black stripe.

NolaBoy

Have a quick question. I have a 76 bronco. The previous owner rewired the bronco with a center harness. I am looking going through my steering column connections and I have found a blue wire with a black stripe coming from the column. It is loose and not going into the flat adapter. I've searched the threads here and can't see anyone who talks about the wire. Does anyone know what this is for? What slot does it go in to? Of note. The horn seems to work correctly but if I try to plug this in the horn honks constantly? Thanks for any info. Sorry if this is a silly question I'm def a novice at this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fablife

prob horn (normally blue w/ yellow), but if you remove the steering wheel, you'll see all the wires and where they go....unless they're spliced...

OP
OP
N

NolaBoy

Is it possible there are two horn wires?

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Not Bu/Bk. Click this & read the caption:

There could be a Bu/R for the PRNDL if it's an auto column. But DB/Bk is not a standard Ford color. This page shows everything Ford used LB/Bk wire for up to the 90s:

OP
OP
N

NolaBoy

It could certainly be aftermarket. There are definitely two contacts for the horn, I just haven't taken the steering wheel off and looked at the wires on the turn switch and horn.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The early (pre-'74) EB's used two contacts. Power came in through one, out through the other directly to the horn.
In mid-'74 Ford added a relay and the horn button went to a single contact design. It only activated the relay to honk the horn.

The Centech harnesses let you connect it either way, but also include a horn relay in their setup, so you can actually connect it through a relay whether you have the early or late column.

Is it a light, medium or dark Blue? First thing I thought of when you said that was the Blue w/red wire for the PRNDL light. Like Steve was saying.
Might also be a swapped-in column. Would help to see the connector and all the wire colors coming out of the column if you can do that. Otherwise it's not necessarily a big deal, but it would be nice to know what it is and why it honks the horn!

Good luck.

Paul