• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tech Article on Removing Dana 20

taylorB

Loc.
Canton, GA
The title says it all. surly there is one out there, i just couldn't find it for some reason. Im also looking for one on rebuilding the d-20

Terkish

I don't think there is a current tech article. Its a fairly straight for ward removal though.
remove the shifter, remove the 6 bolts connecting it to the trans extension. then slide it rear ward. Be careful of the 13 bearing in the transfer case that will try to fall out of place.

this link will help you with the rebuild.
http://broncohq.com/pdf/66-77/chassis/tdana20transcase.pdf

Good luck with your rebuild.

OP
OP
taylorB

taylorB

Loc.
Canton, GA
Awesome thats exactly what i needed to know!!

Would it be easiest to have a shop rebuild it. Im very handy but i dont have the special tools for this rebuild. what would something like that cost if i bring then the t-case and provide all the parts?

OP
OP
taylorB

taylorB

Loc.
Canton, GA
I saw that one daren, but it he pulled the tranny with the t-case. im lookin for details on just the t-case. But thanks anyway ;D;D;D;D;D

Terkish

I rebuilt my T-case myself at home. It was alot easier then I thought it would be. But i didn't replace any bearings on mine because they all looked goos still.
I ended up just taking it apart, inspecting everything and then putting it back together with new gaskets and seals.

I think a shop would probably charge 200-300 to do the work, if i had to guess.

1975 BRONCO

1975 Bronco
Loc.
Spanaway WA
C-4 & DANA 20 rebuild/ reseal cost

I currently have my 1975 C-4/ Dana 20 at a Parkland WA trans shop. I was quoted a price of $1000 to rebuild/ reseal the C-4 and reseal the Dana 20. I was going to pull the motor, trans and transfer case myself, but by the time you round up an engine stand, engine hoist, and trans jack, plus your time and bleeding knuckles, I thought it was better to let someone else with more experince do it. I'm paying $800 to have the engine, trans, and transfer case removed, then reinstalled after the paint job. Plus they guarantee it. I know this sounds like a lot of cash, but the NADA blue book value of the 1975 Bronco is over $20000. I am currently having the Bronco painted from the original white to dark jade poly (dark metallic green). Wild Horses sells a Dana 20 rebuild kit for $169. I guess what it all comes down to is how much do you want to spend, and your inventory of tools, and how soon do you want it back on the road? My two cents worth.

OP
OP
taylorB

taylorB

Loc.
Canton, GA
I have a pretty nice 74 i would sell you:cool:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA;D

How do you remove the spedo cable and what is the story with somethin falling into the tranny if you dont do something blah blah blah..... Also is there a down side to removing it with the crossmember attached? i wasnt able to get those bolts loose.

1000 for the tranny t-case sounds like a great deal.

OP
OP
taylorB

taylorB

Loc.
Canton, GA
Bump? Just waitin on some clearance about those bearings dropping into the tranny. if i put it in 1st gear should i be ok to slide out the t case with the crossmember attached?

Terkish

when you remove the section between the trans and t-case from the t-case there is a shaft that goes into the t-case and rides in some floating bearings. kind of like the needle bearings in a u-joint. there are 13 bearings. sometimes they stick to the shaft and then fall into the t-case during removal or on to the floor. when i did mine they stayed in place and it was no big deal.

you should be fine to remove what you have right now from the bronco with no problems

OP
OP
taylorB

taylorB

Loc.
Canton, GA
Hmm what i have doesnt look like the picture you found???:?

image_15.jpg

image22.jpg

image_25.jpg

image_14.jpg

image21.jpg

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
You have a C4 auto and needlessly removed the tailhousing with the transfer case. The rounded thing on the end comes out, with a hammer most times, it's the adapter for the C4 to mate to the D20.

YOu can rebuild a D20 with a claw hammer and a block of wood, if the bearings have stayed wet with oil, they should be fine. Why the rebuild? Noisy? Pops out of gear?

OP
OP
taylorB

taylorB

Loc.
Canton, GA
It was leaking real bad and a grinding noise when on the gas, but quiet when coasting. Also, The twin sticks wouldn't go into 2 low.

really so no special tools required. Thats good to know ;D;D

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Hrm - that's no good. Yup, time for a rebuild - take it apart and look for shiny metal and loose fitting parts.

OP
OP
taylorB

taylorB

Loc.
Canton, GA
Will a regular rebuild kit with bearings and seals do. or will i need any extra gears?

That was one greasy dirty crossmember
image23.jpg

Tuck

Will a regular rebuild kit with bearings and seals do. or will i need any extra gears?

Depends on how your gears look. Unless they're badly worn or have missing teeth, reuse them. You can upgrade the output shaft too, but that isn't necessary (depends on how you'll use it). Be careful on what kit you buy & know what's in it. Some don't come with shims, so you'll have to stop working & find some...ask me how I know. Really, the hardest part of this is the set screws holding the forks (mine were hard to remove). Other than that, it's just being careful with the loose needle bearings.