• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Testing/Adjusting Fuel Sending Unit Arm

Dandesjar

It looks like my newly installed fuel sending unit has developed a leak at the o-ring while in storage over the winter and I'm going to have to drop the tank and get the leak sorted.

I installed the sending unit without testing the readings before re-installing the tank and, while it isn't too bad, it doesn't read as accurately as I'd like. So I figured I might as well take the extra time to adjust the float arm while I have the unit out again.

My question is... Is there a simple way to accomplish this that I'm just not thinking of? Or do I literally have to re-installed the sending unit and then fill the tank to various levels while reading the gauge and then keep pulling the unit out to tweak the arm and fine tune it?

This sounds messy and tedious... is there an easier way to dial it in?

Thanks for the help

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
What I did was to bend the float arm so swings in within the parameters of the tank.
With, the tank on a level surface, use a square with a level, a tape measure, and some guesstimation.;)
Is this stock or aftermarket tank?

OP
OP
D

Dandesjar

Well... good question... I know it’s not the original tank for my ‘71. It’s a poly tank for a ‘77 and I’m not sure if it’s original or a reproduction tank.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm actually going to be going through this again on my aftermarket aux tank.
It's developed a leak. No gas dripping, but a really bad odor and gas stain on the tank. I'm hoping it's just a sending unit gasket and not a seam weld. I'm waiting till the tank is empty.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Well... good question... I know it’s not the original tank for my ‘71. It’s a poly tank for a ‘77 and I’m not sure if it’s original or a reproduction tank.

Good luck with that.
Two leaky poly tanks is why I replaced both on my '77 40 years ago. It wasn't the gasket, but a crack in the tank where the sender unit goes. I tried to fix it with JB Weld, but it still leaked.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I bent the arm on my replacement fuel sender for my aux tank to get better readings when the tank is full.
Definitely better now.

Attachments

• 5F345AF9-549C-41D5-BD1F-A190FBA0CF51.jpg
    5F345AF9-549C-41D5-BD1F-A190FBA0CF51.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 17