• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

thank god for good parts guys !

nyhillbilly

Loc.
Canton, MI
i got a hydro unit out of a 1 ton chevy 2000 model year. it came with the master cylinder and proportioning valve. mind you i didn't have a prop valve to start with. anyhow bolted it in, hooked up the supply line- things going GREAT,,,, then hooked up the front brake line to the prop valve fit great then went for the rear line, wouldn't fit !!!!!! it turns out that the valve has METRIC fittings !!!!!!!!!!!:mad: after visiting every auto parts store and every idiot who thinks they know what they are talking about, in town to find something to mate the standard bronco lines to the metric valve, last stop was the NAPA in manassas virginia, and the guy took it out of my hand walked to the back, 10 min later he had exactly what i needed in his hand, and he said no bid deal that will be $3.

its getting more and more rare to find a parts guy who knows what they are talking about, and can help you when you are doing custom work. autozone and the rest are great for getting things quick and cheap but the old parts houses with the crusty old guy who's seen it all cannot be beat!

just a simple thanks to all the parts guys who take the time to listen to what the customer is after !!

Michael A

Loc.
San Diego
I just had a great experience at Napa also. Same crusty ol' guy except in San Diego.
Every Autozone, Kragen, Pep Boys I go to seems to have some guy (or girl) that should be in High school helping you look for a part on their computer. They hardly ever know as much as the crusty ol guys.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was one of those crusty old parts guys once..looong time ago. Back then, if you didn't know part numbers by heart, the books(paper only) like the back of yer hand,and how to diagnose properly about every problem that came in the store..you wouldn't be there.

30 years later..that experience comes in real handy for screwing with whatever kid happns to be behind the Advance counter when I get there and need parts for my '69 Ford Bronc with 400 EFI. :cool:

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Ya they look at you crosseyed when they ask for the vehicle and you tell 'em, "you ain't gonna find it in there", I need x.

Hunting parts is the worst.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
BMC69 I started in the parts business in 1967 I still go look for a oil filter PH1A or a 2 inch muffler clamp as a T200 an a 3154 starter....and lot of other parts the kids at O'REALLY are amazed when I walk in after being out of the business since 1995 ...I went in a few days ago and ask for a voltage reistor ..
They don't have them I say go back and look for no's like RU1 RU4 ..damn if they didn't have them on the shelf ..Kid say man I'll never know what you know ..I like this kid he'll listen ...My best was Auto ZONE having a u joint on the shelf for our front axle on a 1966 Bronco ...on a Sunday ...girl didn't even know what brand their u joints were ....

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Getting ready for the Wrench and Roast I've had my fair share in all the parts stores. A big tip for the Autozone's, Pep Boys, ect is to ask for the wholesale parts guy. They usually know what they are doing. At least in the Autozone we use at the dealership does.
NAPA is the best but the price is higher.... Have to pay for good service. This week I went in NAPA and asked for an exhaust bung for my EFI conversion. Not only knew what I was talking about but knew he didn't have them but told me where to get one. Tried to get one at a Pep Boys and he brings me a O2 sensor.
I think Steve in our parts dept. at work has memorized the computer system. Like PAPPIT he can ramble parts numbers off but the long Ford part numbers like FTZ15679A76.....

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Our NAPA seems to be full of retards. I went there last night and had this guy look up ignition parts for a 78 Ford LTD. (He was Vietnamese or possibly Korean mind you) He asks me if it's the regular F-150 or the extended cab. I didn't know what the hell he was talkign about, so I repeated loudly and clearly...FORD LTD. He says, "I know, but I need to know if it's the regular cab or extended cab F-150. I had to get a pen and write LTD and explain it was a car before he finally caught on. Needless to say I didn't get what I was looking for and left. At least I got a good laugh out of it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I am collecting paper catalogs as much as possible. I just answered a post after pulling out the autolite spark plug book and looking stuff up.

A couple weeks ago I needed some bearings and seals for a utility trailer. didn't have the paper catalogs, spent forever online but figured out that I needed a pinion seal for a 90 dodge and front wheel bearings for a 50 Ford car in order to put this utility trailer back together. I confused the new parts store folks, but I did get the pinion seals from them. The bearings, just walk into NAPA and they go around back and come up with everything the first time. Pricy, yes. But worth it.

Currently rebuilding a starter off some riding lawnmower. Need brushes. Everyone else is worthless. NAPA, "here is the book and a caliper, let me know when you find what you want". I dig and poke, 5 minutes later I have some picked out. Next day it came in on the relay, I have the first one odified to fit, still working on the other brush. But at least I could get brushes. More then the other parts store offered, unless I gave them year/make/model.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I found an NAPA old part number for a fuel pump with vacuum wipers while surfing the net yesterday, I took it in to my NAPA store and the kid behind the counter looked it up and said that while the wharehouse doesn't have it the part number is still good and he'll try to order it! The best part is their price is $37.99, plus $8 for freight, sure beats NPD's $99 + shipping;D, We'll see if its the correct pump when it gets in. Funny thing is the 'new' guy behind the counter is easily in his 40's and the 20 year old 'kid' knew more about vacuum wiper'd odd parts than he did.... I love that store, even though they are tiny and usually don't have all of the parts in stock, they always have it by 7:00 AM the next day.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I like it when the moron behind the counter tells you that 'your wrong that part doesn't exist...', when he can't find it in the picture, especially when your holding the old one in your hand.

OP
OP
nyhillbilly

nyhillbilly

Loc.
Canton, MI
Our NAPA seems to be full of retards. I went there last night and had this guy look up ignition parts for a 78 Ford LTD. (He was Vietnamese or possibly Korean mind you) He asks me if it's the regular F-150 or the extended cab. I didn't know what the hell he was talkign about, so I repeated loudly and clearly...FORD LTD. He says, "I know, but I need to know if it's the regular cab or extended cab F-150. I had to get a pen and write LTD and explain it was a car before he finally caught on. Needless to say I didn't get what I was looking for and left. At least I got a good laugh out of it.

where i am at i have the same problem, it is extremly diverse here, i think the united nations has transplanted a few thousand for every nation and dumped them here. i can't help but laugh half the time. im always amazed how many ways english words can get messed up. like
want a bad da dat translated means do you want a bag with that poor guy im sitting laughing in his face about his jacked up accent. i quit asking where everyone if from, i think i get more of them asking me where im from lol