• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

That engine thread got me thinkin...

nathan.hall1

Loc.
Central Washington
I was reading that thread titled "what Engine". Got me thinking about my 351w,

What kind of horsepower do you think it has...it is a 85 out of a F150 it's bored .60 over, a mild cam, stock heads, 2bl intake with a 2150 Motorcraft carb. It was completely balanced as well, other factors is a stock ignition? Am I in the 250 hp range? I read that they were 200ish stock

I know it's not a high horsepower set up but the dang thing seems to me that I need wheelie bars. I can spin those tires from a 5-10 mph rolling start

That leads me to my next question it has a C6/D20 with 3.50 gears how is that for a final drive? (I commute to far to drive the bronco and give up the mileage of the Focus) so I don't drive it much right now.

it has small tires but the plans is 3.5 lift with 32-33 range tire

Overall I'm happy with it, just curious on thoughts from you guys that have built multiple broncos

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would ballpark 250 at the crank. Stock heads and low compression won't let it be much more then that. After drivetrain losses 150-175 HP to the ground.

But the torque is probably over 300 at the crank. That is what makes it feel so strong. It will fell so much happier with a set of 4.10 gears for that size tire.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
If you are not super MPG orientated put a 4bbl intake and carb on it and it will jump alive! That alone should give you quite the hp/tq jump - are you using the factory Bronco 2150 on that 351 or the carb that came on it?

My 74 302 was ok with power, but when I put on a stock (and pretty crappy) 4bbl intake and a 660 the Bronco came alive and I had more power than I knew what to do with. My biggest amazement was a sand hill I always struggle to climb. I can normally make it up in 2nd gear, but after the 4bbl swap I hit 3rd half way up the hill and the front end was light cresting the hill.

You can still put GT40 heads on that motor and retain your carb setup - that would be another great place to pick up some power.

You did say you had enough power, so you don't have to mess with it, but realize you have some rather affordable upgrade options that will easily get you ~50HP.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Yep. What he said^^. Just make sure if you swap your carb or cam that you dont go too big. Its one of the most common and worst mistakes people make when trying to build power. Its easy to get caught up in all the hype pf big HP numbers. What you want is torque. Who cares about big HP numbers if they happen at an RPM range that you hardly ever see, ya know? Go for parts that make power from idle to 4500 or 5000rpms. And definitly re-gear when you go up in tire size. It always kills me when guys put all this money into their engine to make power and are rolling around on big meats with stock gearing.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Torque at 1500-2000RPM is the goal in a 4x4 truck. You say there is enough to exceed your traction so you can't use any more. Horse power is irrelevant. Buy a Mustang, Camaro, etc. They can be made to work with high RPMs needed to produce HP. A friend put a Vet engine in a flat fender Jeep and soon learned it was a mistake.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd pretty much agree with the others but would say you may only have around 200hp. the 2v versions in those years were pretty simlar to the 302's pretty low HP I think 140/270 hp/tq was the rating. Now the 351HO 4v was rated at 210/305. So with your build you may be closer to the HO ratings other than lack of a 4v.
Want a bump up in power install headers if you dont have them already. Small fords need lots of help on the exhuast side. then the cam will reach its full potential as well as any intake/carb mods.
You should get by fine once you swap to 33in tires but you will have to be the judge of that. If you dont like how it drives then as was said you may want to step up to 4.10 gearing.

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
I have a 351w in mine also and i know what you mean about the power. Im set up with aluminum headS and a highrise intake and managed to break traction around 40mph with 3 .50 gears and 33" tires getting on the interstate. Of course i dont rockcrawl but i can guarantee you i still have more power off idle than my 302 did. Swapping a couple things out right now to see if i can bump a lil more mpg's out of it but im not holding my breath.

OP
OP
nathan.hall1

nathan.hall1

Loc.
Central Washington
Thanks for the input guys, it's great for now there are many things on the todo list, above the 4bl and intake, headers and gears.

It's in need of paint and interior upgrades, I'm in the middle of PS upgrade and putting brake parts together for the disc brake upgrades

I'm pretty happy with the torque, and setup currently I was curious that's all

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the input guys, it's great for now there are many things on the todo list, above the 4bl and intake, headers and gears.

It's in need of paint and interior upgrades, I'm in the middle of PS upgrade and putting brake parts together for the disc brake upgrades

I'm pretty happy with the torque, and setup currently I was curious that's all

Which is great - now you know what you can do for a little more umph if you ever want it...