• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

thinking of making the switch to a 351w

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
I believe that automatic is the same as the zf and that it mates to the 205 with no adapter needed. only to notch it for the shift rail. Someone else will correct it if I am wrong.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Starting to piece it all together.

1.) looking for a 4R70W tranny. Does it matter weather it comes out of a Lincoln Towncar or a F-150 (my guess is that the ratios will be quite different)?

2.) What does a 4R70W run used or rebuilt?

3.) I have the Victor jr heads... should I try to find an early lightning upper and lower efi intake? Any other intakes that are lower rise and still very good?

4.) What transfer case should I mate up to the R470W (I don't have the $$$$ for an Atlas!).

5.) I'm thinking of skipping the stroker and just making it a hopped up 351w bored .30 or .40 over with a mod cam. But hey, I could change my mind easily on this one ;)

If I don't go stroker I've got a rebuilt C4 I'll mate up to the 351W.

Thanks for all the help.

1) read up at www.becontrols.com. Ratios are the same, engine bolt patterns vary. 4WD tailhousing is going to be a want unless you are looking to spend bucks on the Dana 20 adapter

2) Free - $2500. Really all over the place. I would expect to find a good usable unit for around $500. Good deals can get you down to $200 but don't count on always finding that.

3) For those heads the only acceptable factory intake is the gen1 lightening. There are also aftermarket versions for putting a 5.8 engine into a mustang that are also low profile and flow like the heads

4) IF you get a 2WD trans, but the adapter, then you can use the stock dana 20. Cheap up a bit, get a 4WD trans and notch a little and a NP205 will work. There is also the option of getting a 4WD trans and the adapter for putting a Dana 20 on a ZF 5-speed (makes the Dana 20 look like a NP205 for mating purposes).

5) once you find out if the crank is usable or needs turning then decide if you will do the stroker. New stroker crank is about even with turning a stock crank. Try and keep the overbore as small as possible. .010" won't make any more power. Thick walls are good walls.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What is the intended use of the bronco ?

Daily driver ? Street racer ? trail crawler? street and trail ?

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
The lightning lowers are like gold, if you can get a screaming deal on it go for it, otherwise about any other aftermarket fi intake will out flow it(sans pro products=junk)

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I used to have a 351W from a Econoline van and the oil pan and intake fit in the EB perfectly.

ALso had the stock 2 bbl carb and it made plenty of torque, the stock 3 speed held up fine, with aDuff's floor shifter its not a bad trans.

Id say a stock 351 would be fine with 33's and a NV3550, if you go to 35;s and start drag racing or driving like a16 yr old, you might break the trans, but for normal adult driving I think the NV 3550 would be fine.

MrBingo

Loc.
Cave Creek
I too am building a stroker 383, using a 69 windsor block, AFR heads, Vic jr intake, going carburated. I am putting mine together and am at the point where I need a balancer. I wanted to get a fluidampr but have no clue what to go with since I would also like to make the switch to serpentine since I have the engine out.

1. Can someone give me guidance on compatibility of dampers (do I need one for a pre 1980 windsor?)
2. Do I need 3 bolt or 4 bolt to go with serpentine?
3. or do I just use the damper/balancer from the explorer serpentine setup I'm taking off a 98 Explorer? ( or is there a nice aftermarket balancer serp pulley?)

Thanks! Jeb

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That 4r70W tranny looks interesting. Who makes a Dana 20 adapter?

2 ways of doing it.

1) Advanced Adaptors has an AOD to D20 kit that if you order the '88 and up version and add about $10 of dealer parts works just fine. I ran this for years.

2) recently discovered is you can take a ZF adaptor to convert the D20 to mate like a full size transfer case. Then all you need is a 4WD version of the 4R70W. This allows you to no have to rebuild the transmission.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
As broncobowsher said use the 69 if you have it. My personal preference if I was to do a 5.8 swap, would be the 94 and newer roller blocks.

my .02

Ben

Ratch

Contributor
2 ways of doing it.

2) recently discovered is you can take a ZF adaptor to convert the D20 to mate like a full size transfer case. Then all you need is a 4WD version of the 4R70W. This allows you to no have to rebuild the transmission.

Any more info on this? I am intrigued.