• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Timing chain

Contributor
I have a ‘65 289 in my Bronco currently and I am doing the explorer front dress on it. Will this timing chain kit work on my engine? I see in some reviews on the kits I’ve been looking at people are having issues with them hitting the inside of the timing cover.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I think you’re ok with that set. It falls in the right years
I have a ‘65 289 in my Bronco currently and I am doing the explorer front dress on it. Will this timing chain kit work on my engine? I see in some reviews on the kits I’ve been looking at people are having issues with them hitting the inside of the timing cover.

[/URL]
I think your ok with that set. It falls in the right years

Attachments

• IMG_0834.png
    IMG_0834.png
    141.5 KB · Views: 12

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don’t have the answer, but why not use the timing chain from the Explorer?
Or for a 5.0 from ‘96 to ‘01?

I don’t know that it’s 100% compatible with the block, but it would certainly be compatible with the explorer timing cover.
I’m sure plenty have done it here though by now, so you should have confirmation soon.

OP
OP

Contributor
I think you’re ok with that set. It falls in the right years

I think your ok with that set. It falls in the right years

That’s what I thought but figured better to double check! Thank you.

OP
OP

Contributor
I don’t have the answer, but why not use the timing chain from the Explorer?
Or for a 5.0 from ‘96 to ‘01?

I don’t know that it’s 100% compatible with the block, but it would certainly be compatible with the explorer timing cover.
I’m sure plenty have done it here though by now, so you should have confirmation soon.

I thought about that too.. but I have some sort of cam in the engine as well and wasn’t sure if they’re compatible.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The only thing that might be different is the length of the dowel pin on the front of the cam. Outside of that nothing ever changed in the block/crank/cam parts. Different fuel pump ecentrics, but irrelevant since they will be deleted to do the Explorer front cover.

OP
OP

Contributor
The only thing that might be different is the length of the dowel pin on the front of the cam. Outside of that nothing ever changed in the block/crank/cam parts. Different fuel pump ecentrics, but irrelevant since they will be deleted to do the Explorer front cover.
Good to know. Well I’ll go pick up that kit from summit racing and give it a shot.

OP
OP

Contributor
I got it stripped down tonight..

IMG_4331.jpeg
IMG_4333.jpeg

OP
OP

Contributor
This is the old timing set. I’m not sure how old it actually is though… the engine was rebuilt at some point from what the guy I got it from said. The inside of the timing cover looks brand new..

IMG_4329.jpeg
IMG_4336.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Contributor
Timing chain and gears look brand new too!
They’re definitely not original, so were replaced when it was rebuilt. And it looks pretty tight still.

I think I will still replace them just to be safe as I am already in there and it’s not that much money to change it out.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Timing chain and gears look brand new too!
They’re definitely not original, so were replaced when it was rebuilt. And it looks pretty tight still.
yep..looks like brand new aftermarket (Comp Cams?) chain and gear set.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've had new chain sets that had that much play in them. Also had some that were tighter as well.
What that video shows I would consider acceptable. If you want it rock solid, get a gear drive.
Even if you got a tighter chain, it will stretch and loosen up as it runs anyway.

OP
OP

Contributor
I definitely need to get a new cam dowel pin now that I’m not using the mechanical pump. Gonna go down to Summit racing tomorrow and see what I can find.

IMG_4343.jpeg

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I definitely need to get a new cam dowel pin now that I’m not using the mechanical pump. Gonna go down to Summit racing tomorrow and see what I can find.
You don't need a new one, you just need a shorter one. I just cut them off with a cut-off wheel. They are kinda hard, but the length is not critical. Just needs to be a little under flush with your new sprocket. The giant washer will keep it captive.

I've never been able to find them as a part. So I harvest them out of old cams, and keep a pile of them.

OP
OP

Contributor
I replaced the timing chain and gear set with this kit.

And I made the dowel pin I had work. I applied blue lock tite to the cam bolt and torqued it to 43ft lbs as I found that specs called for 40-45ft lbs online.

Does everything seem correct before I button this back up?
IMG_4357.jpeg

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I replaced the timing chain and gear set with this kit.

[/URL]

And I made the dowel pin I had work. I applied blue lock tite to the cam bolt and torqued it to 43ft lbs as I found that specs called for 40-45ft lbs online.

Does everything seem correct before I button this back up?
Seems like a good time to drill and install the dowels for the Explorer cover...If you are going to use them.