• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Timing chain

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
One more thing. It looks like you are installing an E3AE-6256-A3A cam sprocket and a dual roller timing chain. I have no idea why...but the same engineer that gave you a plastic cam sprocket, ALSO thought it was necessary to install a camshaft mounted oil slinger under the timing cover when equipped with the dual roller timing chain.

When used with a link type chain, the slinger is deleted. Also, the oil slinger on the crankshaft may not fit behind your Explorer timing cover.

there is a LOT of disagreement as to whether a cam slinger is needed to add additional oil to the double roller chain. Here's a pic of the slinger on the 86-90 Mustang 5.0 HO with double roller timing chain.

Attachments

• slinger.jpg
    slinger.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP

Contributor
One more thing. It looks like you are installing an E3AE-6256-A3A cam sprocket and a dual roller timing chain. I have no idea why...but the same engineer that gave you a plastic cam sprocket, ALSO thought it was necessary to install a camshaft mounted oil slinger under the timing cover when equipped with the dual roller timing chain.

When used with a link type chain, the slinger is deleted. Also, the oil slinger on the crankshaft may not fit behind your Explorer timing cover.

there is a LOT of disagreement as to whether a cam slinger is needed to add additional oil to the double roller chain. Here's a pic of the slinger on the 86-90 Mustang 5.0 HO with double roller timing chain.

I won’t be using any oil slingers as I don’t think they fit under the explorer timing cover.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you just use bolts, that is fine. Install the crank hub as you put the cover on so the seal will center itself on the hub. Then torque the cover bolts. The damper can come back off if needed after that. It is just the centering of the seal around the hub needs a little more attention without the late model dowel.

OP
OP

Contributor
If you just use bolts, that is fine. Install the crank hub as you put the cover on so the seal will center itself on the hub. Then torque the cover bolts. The damper can come back off if needed after that. It is just the centering of the seal around the hub needs a little more attention without the late model dowel.

Thank you. Just to clarify, put the timing cover on, then install the dampener, then the timing cover bolts?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes. the seal will center itself on the damper. There is enough clearance in the bolts and bolt holes that the seal can be side loaded if you put the cover on and tighten it down without the damper in place. This will cause premature seal failure if not a leak from the very start.

OP
OP

Contributor
Realized I was missing a couple bolts, going to get them tomorrow. Then I’ll finish this up! Looking good so far! Thank you everyone for all the help.

IMG_4375.jpeg