• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tire backspacing question.. Need help!!

mputty11

Loc.
Rochester
Hello everybody and Happy New Year! Over the last few months I've been trying to push hard on my Bronco. I'm to the point where I have to get rims and tires. I know nothing about rims or tires..

Facts
3.5 Suspension lift
1" Body lift
Wilwood Disc brakes around, with that said the smallest rim I can install
is a 17".
I was thinking of 17x10 my bolt pattern is 5on139.7
The tires I was thinking would be 33x12.50? not set on those
(having a hell of a time finding rims that fit that bolt pattern)

Backspacing, offset ???? I have no clue

The tricky part, the look Im try to achieve is to have the tire flush with the fenders not sticking out . Tire size above was just my thoughts and once again Im new to the Bronco game.

I posted two Bronco photos of tires I like . the other ones are from my project.

Thank you in advance to everyone

Attachments

• Icon-Ford-Bronco-at-2011-SEMA-Show-Rear-Side-View-Wallpapers-4.jpg
    Icon-Ford-Bronco-at-2011-SEMA-Show-Rear-Side-View-Wallpapers-4.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1151.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1343.jpg
    IMG_1343.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 107

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Hello everybody and Happy New Year! Over the last few months I've been trying to push hard on my Bronco. I'm to the point where I have to get rims and tires. I know nothing about rims or tires..

Facts
3.5 Suspension lift
1" Body lift
Wilwood Disc brakes around, with that said the smallest rim I can install
is a 17".
I was thinking of 17x10 my bolt pattern is 5on139.7
The tires I was thinking would be 33x12.50? not set on those
(having a hell of a time finding rims that fit that bolt pattern)

Backspacing, offset ???? I have no clue

The tricky part, the look Im try to achieve is to have the tire flush with the fenders not sticking out . Tire size above was just my thoughts and once again Im new to the Bronco game.

I posted two Bronco photos of tires I like . the other ones are from my project.

Thank you in advance to everyone

If your Bronco is un-cut like those in the pictures it might be tough to fit a 12-1/2" wide tire under there.

BTW your work looks awesome!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Might be easier to look for wheels with the English size of bolt pattern. 5 on 5½" bolt circle.

For 17" wheels you are probably going to be looking at a greater varity of tires if you look at metric tire sizes. I have some 285/65R17s that are 32" tall, so something along the lines of a 285/70R17 would be closer. But there is a fair bit that you can play with on section width and aspect ratio and still get the size you want, just altering the width getting so.

The tires you posted would be considered an all terrain tire or a mud tire. That is a pretty big window of tire patterns you are after.

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
FWIW, the gray bronco likely has 31x10.5 r15, and the green bronco has 30x9.5 r15 tires.

You have a custom setup, so you're going to have to measure and try tire, wheel combinations that work with your rig - or find someone who has the exact setup you have and use them as a template. The unknown factor is your brake setup and whether the calipers limit the amount of offset you can have. Since they require 17" wheels, the knuckle shouldn't be too much of a problem unless you have a custom knuckle/tie rod as well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I would first of all forget all about a 10" wide wheel. You'd practically need one with a 6" backspacing measurement to get it tucked in like that.
Wide and tucked-in do not play nice together. Since your body is not tubbed, and your frame is not narrowed, and your springs are not inset, going with a narrower wheel to start off is a step in the right direction.
Remember, you can't have a "deep dish" look and lots of backspacing at the same time. Not sure if "deep" was what you were looking for, but thought I'd bring that up too just in case.

Your choice of a 12.50" wide tire is do'able, but is pushing it a bit too. Narrower tires by just a little bit would work. A 285 is just a tad narrower I think, and as the others said, easier to find in a 17 most likely anyway.
I prefer sticking with 265 and 275 wide tires with uncut rear fenders, but plenty of people have fitted 285's under there sheet metal that it's got some history as well. Best to read their threads to see what they did to accomplish it.

The metric sizes often list narrower wheels in their "approved wheel width" lists too. Getting harder and harder to find a big tire company that will mount a 12.50 on an 8" wide wheel anymore. It's a perfect fit in the real world, but most tire companies now list 8.5" as their minimum width anymore. Some tire companies adhere religiously to the specs. Some, not so much...

Looks like you're at the point too, that you can't cleanly move the rear axle rearward by welding on new perches. Too much new paint and coatings that you likely don't want to damage I'd say.
Which means you'd be using one of those relocation kits that includes a new block I think? I'm not really that familiar with the different methods, so others will have to fill in the blanks there.
The reason for bringing up moving the rear axle is the shape of the leading edge of the rear wheel well opening. It moves inward and more vertical, and creates more interference potential with the rear tires as they get taller and taller.
You might be ok just as it is of course, but you might not. As said, you may just have to wait and see how much clearance you have once the build is finalized.
Can you compress the suspension down to ride-height without scuffing things up too much? If you can get the rear suspension compressed so that the distance between the top of the axle tube and the bottom of the frame is approximately 10.5" (give or take 1/2") then you can see what kind of clearances you're going to have.

They're great goals, and your Bronco is looking fantastic. As well do those others in those pics. The flat look of the wheels shows that they have lots of backspacing (more positive offset) for their width. Be nice to know the specific details. Is that first gray one an Icon by any chance? Or one of the other companies that list their details online? Has dealer plates, so wasn't sure who's it was.

Sorry I don't have any hard facts to give you as to what is, and what is not going to fit. Just that sometimes you have to feel around the edges to get it just right.

Good luck.

Paul

broncomike629

Nice work!

The gray one in your pic is an icon Bronco and it has an axle swap with 6 lugs. If your using a 9” then it will likely be a much different look. The green one is stock wheels with mud tires which are probably metric. Check out Method race wheels. They have a 5x5.5 pattern and some nice looking 17” wheels (in my opinion). I am planning on using one of their wheels on my rig and am currently searching for a junk 265 75 17 to mount on a spare rim I have to check clearance. Good luck!

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If your Rear Fenders are Cut a 33/12.50/17 would fit fine with a 8.5-9" wheel. Method Racing Wheels, for example, makes many choices in the 17x8.5 width in the Bronco Bolt Pattern. Method NV with 285/75/17 Pictured.

If your Rear wheels are Uncut then a 265/70/17 with a 17x8" wheel with 4.5 " backspacing will work great. American Racing and others make this size with the correct bolt Pattern. American Racing AR969 Pictured with 265/70/17s.

Attachments

• 77 Bronco - Washed Driver Rear.jpg
    77 Bronco - Washed Driver Rear.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 77 Bronco Ranger - Driver's Side.jpg
    77 Bronco Ranger - Driver's Side.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
M

mputty11

Loc.
Rochester
ok so this is what I found..

Rockstar Rims 18x9 with 5inch backspacing I hope these work out . I bought one to test fit.