• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Too small air filter?

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a Holley 600 carb on a 302. Between a carb spacer, DUI dizzy, and no body lift, I'm fighting hood clearance issues. I current have the standard 13x3 filter. Would a full circle 10x2 restrict too much air flow? I'm just looking for something reasonably priced without getting an expensive and fancy odd size filter and base. I wouldn't think that it would be too little air, especially considering the full circle open. Just want to make sure before I order from summit!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The change to the 10 inch filter is half the area that of stock. Somewhere I read the Factory aircleaner assembly was rated at 400 cfm. I dont know if that was limited by the housing or the filter though. a 13" X 2.75" air filter is suppose to be close to 525 CFM from what I have read.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ive run a 10 in filter for years its not to little. While you can get filters that are really to small. Its doubtful you'll have a issue in a bronco with the RPM's normally run. At worst you may need to change the filter sooner than a larger one as it will clog up sooner tha a larger one. heck take most of the mustang 5.0 filters they are not that big. If i remember correctly the stock bronco filter is a 9x2.

Ryanlt

Loc.
Douglas, Ga
I'm running a 10x2 on my 91 5.0 with a holley 600 on top of a edelbrock performer 289 intake and it does fine. I'm also running the DUI distributor. I had to cut the hood brace to clear the distributor. The hood would close but left a small mark where the nut on the air cleaner would hit the hood. I ended up cutting that brace also.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 73

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Much disagreement about K&N actually being the best. I wont get into that. You can research on your own. Kinda depends on your useage. If you run in dusty conditions you'll want to run a foam prefilter on the K&N.
Those filter lids dont seem to help any many people have found they lost power using them.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for all of the feedback! I think I'm going to go down to a 10x2 or 11x2 from Summit and use the K&N top filter hat too. I've heard good things about them. This truck is street rig, pretty day grocery getter with a mild motor in it.

Ryanlt - I also had to cut my hood brace to clear the DUI. I bent some flat stock and made a big hoop to tie it all together and keep the strength.