• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Torque wrench -How do you know?

johnbeck

I have my engine block, trans, transfer case out. They all have torque specs to reinstall. I bought a torque wrench from Sears for 40 bucks. Got thinking, I'm spending 5K "under the hood", How accurate is the Sears wrench? When it's set on 25lbs., am I applying 25, 20, or 35? What good quality wrench is out there? I don't know if the Sears T wrench is working or not much more than a ratchet wrench with numbers. Thanks

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
If you have a digital scale, something like a hanging fish scale or luggage scale, then you can test it.

Put a socket on the wrench, clamp the socket in a vise. Put the scale on the wrench handle 12 inches from the center of the socket. Set the torque and give the scale a tug.... Most torque wrenches can be recalibrated if they are off.

You should verify your scale calibration by weighing something of a known weight, like a dumbbell.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A bunch of years ago I brought my craftsman to work and the guy in the calibration lab checked it out for me. It was surprisingly close to spec. Now that I think of it, I got some new ones on sale several years ago. Action item for after vacation :)

Hank

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There are ways to rig a test. I wouldn't trust any of the rental/loaner wrenches to be that good, who knows what abuse they have been through.

With that we have a testing rig at work. The calibration stand gets tested yearly and everything is tracible to national standards. With that, they hold there values amazingly well. Within a few percent. Never enough error for any of us to worry about. In the end it is all just a paperwork trail.

So long as you haven't been using it as a cheater bar to remove rusty suspension bolts or use it as a hammer, it's fine.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I use a Sears inch pound wrench at work (Ford Technician) I've had it tested 4 times over a 20 year period and it's been right on every time.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Even and accurate torqueing is important and all, but when these cars were made, "clicking" torque wrenches weren't mainstream yet.
We used the bending shaft style. Those lend themselves to a bit of speculation when tightening stuff, but got us close enough.
I still use my old Craftsman bender, along with a ratchet adapter, to torque the wheels on my cars.

Attachments

• spin_prod_881131012.jpg
    spin_prod_881131012.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 50

ame

I have used and own a few Precision instruments brand torque wrenches with good luck, its a nice wrench for the price.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
Always skeptical about stuff from Harbor Freight but this works good.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-digital-torque-adapter-63917.html

There are some youtube videos on how to recalibrate clickable torque wrenches yourself. One of the kids who uses my shop put one back loaded. How long that was I don't know. Got it reset using the device. Told the kid if he did it again I'd rip his balls off so he couldn't make any more like him. Millennials

Muddy1966Bronco

Loc.
Central PA
Even and accurate torqueing is important and all, but when these cars were made, "clicking" torque wrenches weren't mainstream yet.
We used the bending shaft style. Those lend themselves to a bit of speculation when tightening stuff, but got us close enough.
I still use my old Craftsman bender, along with a ratchet adapter, to torque the wheels on my cars.

I grew up on these, used them for ag, state small engine competition, and my husband and I have built several engines and vehicles with them. We tend to go for the old bender over the ratchet for such work. But overall experience with ratchets and benders is that they stay calibrated just fine for years on end when used correctly. No breaker bar beating!

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
If you can find a local Snap-On salesman, most of the trucks are now equipped with a torque meter for reading your wrench's accuracy. They use it as a sales tool to compare the consistency of a cheaper brand to their brand. I have tried my old Craftsman and they were close but I ended up dropping a few bills for higher end wrenches for liability purposes.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Always skeptical about stuff from Harbor Freight but this works good.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-digital-torque-adapter-63917.html

There are some youtube videos on how to recalibrate clickable torque wrenches yourself. One of the kids who uses my shop put one back loaded. How long that was I don't know. Got it reset using the device. Told the kid if he did it again I'd rip his balls off so he couldn't make any more like him. Millennials

Not really a surprise to me, from what I see their torque wrenches are consistently rated as one of the best products they sell.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
One of the kids who uses my shop put one back loaded. How long that was I don't know. Got it reset using the device. Told the kid if he did it again I'd rip his balls off so he couldn't make any more like him. Millennials

Well at least you’re giving the little shit another chance, you’re a good man in my book NC ;D I BELIEVE that has something to do with why you survived that bad wreck, God Bless you my friend ;)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've seen one set of instructions with a new torque wrench that says to store and half scale. Which is new to me as the old instructions were always unload when stored.

It is just a spring. Considering that I have engines that have sat for years with a valve open (spring compressed) and they will still run at full speed (boat engine) without missing a beat.

So I wouldn't really worry about it.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Remember, when using a clicking torque wrench, loosen the handle all the way to zero when not in use.

I've had my Craftsman for 30 years and it resides in the holder it came in and always wound down.
I've wondered about accuracy, but not worried about it. Steps and sequence......