• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfer Case Question

LOTO_DLG

Loc.
Lake Ozarks
Hi, last fall I picking up a 74 Bronco in fairly decent shape. I drove it around just a bit, around 5 miles, and it seemed to be solid. In my spare time I'm been cleaning up the engine bay, put headers on it, MSD, ...the usual stuff. My plan is to put several shakedown miles on it before I work on cosmetics. Yesterday I went to drive it for the first time in months and can't get it to move. When I shift from Park to Drive it does nothing. I haven't touched the transmission and it worked fine when I parked it. I did however mess with the Transfer Case shifter so now I wonder if it's out of gear. I THINK I have it in 2wd high but I'm not sure. I can feel it shift into 4wd low and high but even then it doesn't move.
Is there a trick it this? Should I be pushing down, (or up) in the shifter. Of if you think I'm off base with the transfer case could it be something else?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
~David

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
T shift or J shift ? What did you do to the xfer case shifter when you messed with it? Even when you pull the shifter all the way back into 4H (on a T shift) the Bronco will not move?

No pushing up or down is required, that I know of.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
'74 would be a J-shift case if it's still original. The J case is a pain in the butt to shift correctly and be in the gear you want.

broncochevy

Loc.
Orcutt, CA
Try lubing the linkage. Had this problem on a 73 and no matter what range we put it in it would stay in 4 low. You are probably in neutral with the case, however may have just broken the shifter collar at the column shifter. Verify the drive lines are not moving. (Broken axle or slipped pinion)

OP
OP
L

LOTO_DLG

Loc.
Lake Ozarks
Thanks for the responce, guys. It turned out that I wasn't selecting the correct shifter position. The shift knob shows 2WH to the right and up but right and down engages the gear. I swear I tried that several times but for some reason it engaged last night.