• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Twin stick

Chris99

Contributor
I have an Ax15 with twin stick shifter and I can't get the front to shifter to shift independently

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
Was this originally a T shifter? There are pills between the two rails that prevent you from shifting into low on one diff and high on the other at the same time.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
X2 was is a J or T shift Dana 20 originally?
twin stick 3.png

Attachments

• twin stick 1.png
    twin stick 1.png
    301.3 KB · Views: 39
  • twin stick 2.png
    twin stick 2.png
    231.4 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
C

Chris99

Contributor
Yeah it the original T shift. If I shift the rear then I can shift the front to the same high or low 4x4. So how do you just shift the front?

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Yeah it the original T shift. If I shift the rear then I can shift the front to the same high or low 4x4. So how do you just shift the front?
It requires modifying the shift rails and removing the interlock pill...basically tearing the case down and rebuilding. That, or swap it with the newer J-case

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As stated, internal modifications to the transfer case. Nothing difficult, just a lot of time for the most part.
Getting to the interlock pills requires removing the shift rails. To get the rails out you have to remove the transfer case (for room for the rail to slide that far) and remove the inspection port to access the set screws holding the shift forks to the rails. To access the set screws, the gears are in the way and need to be removed. So a transfer case tear down.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
As Broncobowsher stated, complete disassembly required to remove two rods between shift rails.
The two rods prevent front drive shift rail from moving before the rear drive is engaged.

Below picture shows shift rails in neutral.
Pulling back on T handle shifter pulls rear drive shift rail to the left (in picture), engage rear H drive.
When rear rail is stopped by detent ball, the righthand rod can slide into relief in rear rail, allowing T handle shifter to pull front rail to left engaging front H drive.
Pushing on T handle shifter accomplishes similar results with lefthand rod and L range drive.

1709007177864.png

OP
OP
C

Chris99

Contributor
Ok thanks for the help I am planning on rebuild the transfer case anyway just wanted to fit everything to cut the hole in my floor.