• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Two VIN numbers ?

Hoosier418

Anybody run into non matching VINs ? Glove box has one number frame has something different. If you did , how did you title it ? I know it will vary state to state but Im sure this has been dealt with before.

turbotim2

Start by telling us what state you're in and provide more details on the vehicle like when you got it, where it came from, etc. You will get a hundred opinions with that question and few if any will be the answer to your problem. Every state is different.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
What VIN is on the title? Glove box is easily swapped. You need to confirm non-titled VIN is not a stolen vehicle.

OP
OP
H

Hoosier418

Im in IN. I bought it about 5 years ago as a 71 with no title just a bill of sale. I had the vin from the glove box ran by police before I bought but didn't check the number on the frame. Just now started doing some work on it and decided to try to apply for lost title. Knowing that requires a vin check I scraped the dirt off the frame and it has a 76 number. I will have the frame number ran in the next couple days. Hopefully it is OK and then maybe an assembled title ?

turbotim2

Sounds like you have the right idea. Get the 76 VIN checked then apply for a lost title.

67RT

Bronco Guru
Who is running the VIN for you? Use the frame VIN for your new title. Will be tough as the bill of sale probably mentions the glove box VIN, which means you have no proof of ownership in their eyes..

67RT

Bronco Guru
Title it with the VIN on the frame, the order a VIN badge for the glove box with the frame VIN from Marti.

http://www.martiauto.com/tags.cfm

That might work. In MD after running my frame VIN which differed from glovebox VIN they removed my glovebox VIN plate and issued a state VIN that was riveted to my door jamb. Had to get a court order (Writ of Mandamus) just to get this done! Be glad u arent in MD..

I got the marti tag but they would not let me apply it. Also, the state issued VIN does not match my frame VIN. Apparently soon their machine will be able to do that, but not yet. I don't care. I am happy to be done with it and am driving the crap out of it.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
^^^^^^^^ Yes I'm glad ODOT is easy to deal with. They just ask to see the VIN in the vehicle, unless it's not there.................I've yet to encounter a tag agency worker who even knew there was a VIN on the bronco frame.

bigdaddyof4

Loc.
Vincennes, IN
Bought mine in South Dakota and titled it in Indiana and they only checked the glove box although my title, glove box and frame match

67RT

Bronco Guru
In MD they do not check at all. No inspection. I just wanted to get it right to prevent suspicion or hesitant buyers if I ever resell.