• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What about using Ford 1 ton tie rod ends?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Trying to keep my Bronco all Ford.

Is there a Ford heavy duty tie rod end that could work in place of the 1 ton Ch**y?

I read of a guy that was having a co-worker give him grief about his "Ch**y Bronco" because he used a Ch**y heater blower motor for the heater upgrade; a'92 F250 blower motor is said to work which got me thinking that maybe other parts don't need to be non-Ford.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
First off, neither Ford or Chevy makes any of the parts you've mentioned%). Originally they were Dana/Spicer parts spec'd for particular applications. Ford, Chevy, and even Dodge use many of the exact same Dana/Spicer parts during manufacturing.

The so called 'Chevy' tie rod conversion is only 'Chevy' because you use part numbers that are easily referenced as a 'Chevy' 1 ton front end.... Same thing with a blower motor.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can use the Ford 78/79 F150/Bronco TRE's, here are a few pics for comparison. the 1st is a F150 which is 2.125" and the 2nd is what everybody refers to the Chevy 1 ton which is 2.039", both have the 7/8" threads and will work with the dana 44 knuckles unless you have the 76/77 Bronco knuckles which may not allow enough room for the Ford TRE's to clear the wheel

Attachments

• DSC00618.jpg
    DSC00618.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC00620.jpg
    DSC00620.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 96

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Check with BC Broncos they use to cut down the Ford truck steering linkage for the Bronco Dana 44.

bigjhoov

nobody
Check with BC Broncos they use to cut down the Ford truck steering linkage for the Bronco Dana 44.

I don't think they do this any more. Something about the components being made overseas now.

I've seen a set up that used some f350 rod ends. It wasn't as clean a set up as the Chevy stuff in my.opinion.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To add to what was said, and highlight a couple of slight advantages of doing it this way:

1. Having double adjusters with short ends, where the tapered draglink hole is in the much stronger tie-rod (rather than the smaller rod-end), allows you to run this setup TRU or TRO without having to reverse taper the hole. Not a huge deal, but one less thing to worry about.

2. That same centerlink location for the hole keeps the draglink at the stock length. While a longer draglink can in itself be an advantage, you can't really take full advantage of that extra length while the trackbar remains stock length. Saving you from extra fabrication to make it 100%
This equal length feature plays a part in proper street manners in that same "keep them parallel" equation.

3. Eliminates weakest link of the "1-ton" setup. That necking down of the passenger side rod end and putting all the force of the draglink right there creates stress point that bends quite often under heavy use.
This is not usually much of an issue if you don't use your vehicle very hard or don't have very large tires, but it's a weak link in the armor nonetheless. Can't say I've ever seen one break, but they do bend right there and change the toe-in.
After all, in the GM application that tapered hole was never meant for a draglink. Instead, it was the original mounting point for the steering stabilizer shock.

How's that for tag-teaming?:cool:

Paul