• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What is the tune of Fox 2.0 shocks from Lee Finke at Raceshock.com?

kman67

Contributor
Loc.
Aptos
So I bought 4 Fox 2.0 12" reservoir shocks from Lee Finke at Raceshock.com about 3 years ago. Lee knew his stuff when it came to getting the right valving in our shocks for our Broncos. He was also able to find me some shocks even when supplies were hard to find at the time. He then put his custom tune valve shim stack in the shocks. They have been great, but now I want a 14" travel shock for the rear. But as some of you know, Lee passed away this year, RIP Lee. I want to have the same valve shim stack installed in 14" shocks and it seems the only way to figure out what was in my 12" shocks is to open them up and measure the shims. By chance, does anyone know what tune Lee put in these type of shocks? I think when he was in business, the tune was kind of propriety, but now that he is gone, is there a reason to keep it a secret? That would save me from having a shop disassemble and reassemble my 12" shocks.
Thanks,
Kyle

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have something on it written down at home - I'll see if I can dig it up and send it along to you. Unfortunately I don't think I have the shim info, but I'll check.

I'll agree - he really nailed it on the valving in those shocks for our front ends.

On a personal note, I really miss Lee. He was a great man, easy to work with, and a guy I was proud to call a friend.

Todd Z.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I have something on it written down at home - I'll see if I can dig it up and send it along to you. Unfortunately I don't think I have the shim info, but I'll check.

I'll agree - he really nailed it on the valving in those shocks for our front ends.

On a personal note, I really miss Lee. He was a great man, easy to work with, and a guy I was proud to call a friend.

Todd Z.
Adding to what Todd wrote. I bought a pair of Fox shocks for the front of my Bronco ages ago. They worked (and work) exactly as Lee predicted. I'd be terrified to mess with his recipe. RIP.

OP
OP
kman67

kman67

Contributor
Loc.
Aptos
Thanks Todd. Looking back at my notes, the front are slightly different from the rear. Are yours for the front?

b4b81520428611d1c935fc03e2a8a271.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Thanks Todd. Looking back at my notes, the front are slightly different from the rear. Are yours for the front?

b4b81520428611d1c935fc03e2a8a271.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not Todd but I happen to know that he and I have the exact same front shocks, and I checked my own notes. Todd is describing front shock valving.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
X2 what Lars said. I still run Bilstein 7100s in the rear.

Todd Z.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I dug in my notes and came up with 70/90 valving and 1 bleed hole in the piston.

Based on assuming the compression # comes first, I think these charts give you the valve stack info:

https://www.kartek.com/mm5/graphics...-and-compression-shock-valving-shim-chart.pdf

Todd Z.
70 is rebound 90 is compression. The bleed hole is the low speed portion.

Ntsqd and I surmise that the bleed hole for the low speed is what really makes these shocks shine.

Also can’t get to 90 on compression on standard 14mm shaft shocks, the shaft will bend on a big hit.

That shock valving on the rear will not yield near the same results with the leaf springs, they need far different valving to be correct. 5100’s or if really set on reservoirs 7100’s will work well.

Last edited:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
so a 70/90 would seem opposite than what I experience with what I consider good shocks, if 90 is compression. I like a compression which is normal, but a rebound which is much slower, so when you hit something like a parking lot speed bump, you dont get the bounces, the suspension takes the hit quickly, but slowly, and thats relative, goes back to normal ride height. I'd also say if you watch the race trucks take the jumps, they land and compress quickly, but slowly come back to ride height so they are not bouncing all over.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Any idea what size bleed hole?
Fox uses bleed holes for the low speed valving
so a 70/90 would seem opposite than what I experience with what I consider good shocks, if 90 is compression. I like a compression which is normal, but a rebound which is much slower, so when you hit something like a parking lot speed bump, you dont get the bounces, the suspension takes the hit quickly, but slowly, and thats relative, goes back to normal ride height. I'd also say if you watch the race trucks take the jumps, they land and compress quickly, but slowly come back to ride height so they are not bouncing all over.
You are correct and from my discussions with a few shock engineers holds true. However, my summation is that some of that number has to compensate for the bleed holes in the piston. Not all valving is the same from manufacturer to manufacturer based on their design so those numbers have different meaning for different manufacturers.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
70 is rebound 90 is compression. The bleed hole is the low speed portion.

Ntsqd and I surmise that the bleed hole for the low speed is what really makes these shocks shine.

Also can’t get to 90 on compression on standard 14mm shaft shocks, the shaft will bend on a big hit.

That shock valving on the rear will not yield near the same results with the leaf springs, they need far different valving to be correct. 5100’s or if really set on reservoirs 7100’s will work well.
Thanks for the clarification on those numbers. Yeah, I've always figured the bleed hole is for the low speed stuff too. Lars and I have 7/8" shafts on our Fox shocks.

We use 278/78 (I think) on the rear Bilsteins.

Todd Z.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Fox uses bleed holes for the low speed valving

You are correct and from my discussions with a few shock engineers holds true. However, my summation is that some of that number has to compensate for the bleed holes in the piston. Not all valving is the same from manufacturer to manufacturer based on their design so those numbers have different meaning for different manufacturers.
I know they use them. I used to tune alot of Fox snowmobile shocks and used differetn size bleed holes. I was just wondering if we knew what size they use,.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I can tell you that back in another lifetime, AKA when I bought my Fox shocks from Lee, whenever that was, I called him after realizing that my 12" stroke Bilstein 7100 shocks valved 360/80 (Bilstein numbers) were not adequate. He pointed me to the 2.0 Fox reservoir shocks with 7/8" shafts, noting that any heavier damping on my Bilsteins with 14mm shafts would bend them. I told him what my Bronco weighed and how I drove it. A week or three later the Fox shocks I still have showed up. Giggle fest. On the rough path masquerading as the road to the lab where I used to work at UC Davis, the difference was obvious. The Bilsteins went to the back, after being shipped to Lee for a little massaging. As I recall valved 360/80 still- unlike Todd I have a full hard top, dual gigantic fuel tanks, lots more weight on the back.

I have since resealed and recharged my shocks, front and rear, a couple of times. Kinda neat to go through them myself. Guessing I should probably look at the shim stacks in the back and consider replacing those before too long.