• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What to do with body hole after removing aux fuel tank

blazinear

Contributor
Montauk Pony
I'm planning to remove my driver-side second fuel tank (for a variety of reasons) and I'm wondering what to do with the hole left over in the body? I've found a number of posts from folks who are converting from a dual tank to a single tank system so this must come up. Do most just leave it as a faux fuel hole with a stock gas cap? I guess ideally you would put on a fresh new body panel with just the main but that seems pretty extreme.

amfw

Hi, mine came with the two filler necks/holes but only one tank. I havent done anything with it yet but was thinking it could be a pretty trick kill switch. either make on that lives inside the old filler area, or make it so the whole gas cap is the switch, and you could turn it clockwise or counter clockwise.

I dont mind the second cap that much, so replacing the body panel isnt that high of a priority. even if its dead ended, Its cool to be able to talk about with folks that have never seen a car with two fuel tanks.

Ive also heard it suggested as a good place for an on board air connection

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
If you have any overlanding aspirations, install a power inverter and us the opening for 110V and USB outlets for use when camping.

But using a dummy cap is the easiest way to deal with it. Just hope that no one tries to put fuel in it!

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
For years, mine has just had a dummy on it like Scoop suggested.

I am in the middle of a rebuild and paint and eliminating it finally.

If I had seen this earlier, I may have added an inverter plug in, great idea!

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Both of mine just have the filler neck and no tank. My 67 has been like that for at least 15 years. If you are planning on painting it its not a big deal to weld a patch in it before paint.

Miker

Bronco Guru
Saw a pic ages ago of a gal that put a air pump fitting to a tank underneath, thought it was slick as snot.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
If you have any overlanding aspirations, install a power inverter and us the opening for 110V and USB outlets for use when camping.

But using a dummy cap is the easiest way to deal with it. Just hope that no one tries to put fuel in it!

X2... make use of it if you'll get the rig out on the road much :)

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
for a 77 leave the fuel door on and you can add an outlet port under it so you can park in E stalls at the mall and plug in to charge up..

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
I had to put a locking gas cap on mine after my granddaughter tried to fill the second tank and filled her shoe with fuel! I lost favored grandpa status after that!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
blazinearl, You won't need a new body panel for this little hole. You do what everyone else does when we blank off a gas cap or antenna hole. Cut a small piece of sheet metal and weld it in.

OP
OP
blazinear

blazinear

Contributor
Montauk Pony
blazinearl, You won't need a new body panel for this little hole. You do what everyone else does when we blank off a gas cap or antenna hole. Cut a small piece of sheet metal and weld it in.
Thanks, yeah, that’s a good point. I’ve never done any welding before so it’s a bit intimidating to start with body panel work where all my mistakes will be so visible. I assume a body shop would make quick work of that, though.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
I too am planning an air hose connection for the future on board air system. I’m having a hard time hacking a perfectly good aux filler next to accomplish the job. Until then, I’ve cut a piece of aluminum sheet metal. Mounting it from behind and pop riveting thru the original mounting holes.