• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's the deal with 1977 Broncos and emissions in WA and CA?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I think I would try and get antique tags from a state that has a "one and done" payment to get them. I put antique plates on my rig some 20 years ago and have never been back to the DMV. One time fee and done.

Yeah I know getting them from another state isn't the legal thing to do but 90% of the RV's in the U.S are registered in FLA where there are no taxes yet you see them parked at homes all over the U.S.

Tim

elan

Loc.
s
904Bronco
I will challenge you on the roadside inspections for '75 and older vehicles. But, if I can be proven wrong I am open to be corrected.

I have been buying and selling pre '75 vehicles for a very long time and never have never been subjected to a roadside inspection or questioned about non required smog (75 and older). Case in point. Many older cars with California smog requirement equipment were not required in other states when sold new.

I haven't seen a roadside inspection in 15 years

mattt

Bronco Guru
904Bronco
I will challenge you on the roadside inspections for '75 and older vehicles. But, if I can be proven wrong I am open to be corrected.

I have been buying and selling pre '75 vehicles for a very long time and never have never been subjected to a roadside inspection or questioned about non required smog (75 and older). Case in point. Many older cars with California smog requirement equipment were not required in other states when sold new.

I just saw one in Anaheim about a month or two ago. They are out there. The Dead Giveaway is the CHP car on the city street and some other bureaucrats in white suits with a bunch of BS on the side of the road. Thankfully I have been going the opposite direction of the unnecessary stop, but the traffic they create should be enough to put them in jail and defund those A-holes. It's probably a good thing for them and me that I've never been caught up in that traffic....I don't know that I'd keep my trap shut. But I digress....

vuke

Loc.
Red Bank, NJ
WA Collector plate limitations - and YES i've seen guys get popped for it.

2. Vehicle requirements
Vehicles with these plates:

Must have a current registration.
Must be more than 30 years old.
Be capable of operating on the highway.
Be owned and operated as collector vehicles.
May be driven:
To and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings.
For testing purposes.
For the pleasure of others without compensation.
May not be used for:
Regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle.
Commercial purposes or to carry a load.

I have these on my 66 even though I moved to NJ almost a year ago. It's not a daily driver so I never worried myself about getting "popped" as you said.

"What's that officer? I'm just test driving this new (Insert random part here) I installed last week" or "I'm just taking my buddy for an uncompensated pleasure ride..."

How can they prove you wrong?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I have these on my 66 even though I moved to NJ almost a year ago. It's not a daily driver so I never worried myself about getting "popped" as you said.

"What's that officer? I'm just test driving this new (Insert random part here) I installed last week" or "I'm just taking my buddy for an uncompensated pleasure ride..."

The original question was about California.
The eco-freaks there have called and reported every car at a classic car show to the state "gross polluter" hotline.

Count on it a busybody would rat you out.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA

What's your destination?

What's the name of your club?

What's then name of the show?

Think you don't have to answer these questions? WRONG! You agreed to answer on both your Drivers license and Vehicle license applications. Ever see a car impounded and auctioned off? Worse yet, ever seen a car get crushed for improper licenses/title?

WA isn't so bad but in CA CARB is the end all be all of the law. They ARE the law.

vuke

Loc.
Red Bank, NJ
What's your destination?

Think you don't have to answer these questions? WRONG! You agreed to answer on both your Drivers license and Vehicle license applications. Ever see a car impounded and auctioned off? Worse yet, ever seen a car get crushed for improper licenses/title?

WA isn't so bad but in CA CARB is the end all be all of the law. They ARE the law.

Test driving. No destination needed, no club required, not going to a show. Just test driving that new gizmo I installed.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
What's your destination?

If it's anything like Colorado, you sign an affidavit when you get license plates, which means that penalties for perjury can apply also.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
904Bronco

I saw one yesterday in Glendora. Just south of Arrow highway on Grand in the southbound lane. The first warning sign said "Survey Party Ahead". I don't know why they left off the word smog.

The check station was near there a few years ago. I got waved through it.

You would probably see more of them if you weren't working during the day.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I saw one yesterday in Glendora. Just south of Arrow highway on Grand in the southbound lane. The first warning sign said "Survey Party Ahead". I don't know why they left off the word smog.

The check station was near there a few years ago. I got waved through it.

You would probably see more of them if you weren't working during the day.

The one I saw was in the same place in years past too....on Santa Ana Canyon Rd. in Anaheim Hills. Every time I saw it was because I was having lunch at a restaurant right near it on a weekday.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
They'd like us to think that they are anyway. The SEMA newsletter in an article years ago pointed out twice where a enthusiast-beneficial law was passed that they didn't like. So they made rules that skirted around it. Which caused the Legislature to slap their wrists and make a law clarifying the intent of the first law and making it much harder for them to skirt.

I've never seen a roadside test either. Don't doubt that they exist. The rules for a roadside sobriety check require that you be given the option of turning around and not going thru it. That same rule should apply to a roadside emissions test as well. If it doesn't, it should and something needs to be done about it.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Test driving. No destination needed, no club required, not going to a show. Just test driving that new gizmo I installed.

I work up the street from State Patrol. The n00bs are constantly pulling over ANY truck for "mud flap" violations and then they start digging. It's all written down and recorded. You might get away with it once or twice.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
They'd like us to think that they are anyway.

When I was working FD in Sac we got called out for a random medical aid. Turns out CARB got the PD to raid a local ricer car show Friday night. They started impounding and towing cars for the smallest of things. They impounded 38 cars in one night - I had never seen a vest with "CARB INSPECTOR" before that night. Not even sure it's a real job!

CARB is as bad as the EPA if not worse.

mattt

Bronco Guru
When I was working FD in Sac we got called out for a random medical aid. Turns out CARB got the PD to raid a local ricer car show Friday night. They started impounding and towing cars for the smallest of things. They impounded 38 cars in one night - I had never seen a vest with "CARB INSPECTOR" before that night. Not even sure it's a real job!

Wow...that is disgusting, truly out of control state government worker A-holes. Anyone who would vote for the one party that empowers this sort of crap needs to have their head checked for mental illness.

vuke

Loc.
Red Bank, NJ
I work up the street from State Patrol. The n00bs are constantly pulling over ANY truck for "mud flap" violations and then they start digging. It's all written down and recorded. You might get away with it once or twice.

Good thing I only drive it a couple times a month!

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
No question, they're worse.

Thing is, their dept. head is appointed by the Governor, and as far as I can tell, only answer to he or she if at all. They are an Autocracy, what power they weren't given they've taken. The current head is a zealot and a radical. You might guess that she wasn't appointed by Arnold......

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Wow...that is disgusting, truly out of control state government worker A-holes. Anyone who would vote for the one party that empowers this sort of crap needs to have their head checked for mental illness.

The worst part is that they are now exporting that lunacy to the rest of the country.