• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whats the single best upgrade you have done to your EB?

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Too many too list. I guess the Hydroboost would be a good place to start. ;D

bmbm

best upgrade

I'm somewhat of a purist, except when it comes to brakes & steering. Put all FoMoCo disks on the '68 & '74, and did the Chevy conversion on the '71. Hate to admit it but the '71 is prob the best driving EB I've ever had! (And I've had quite a few!)

Is it the Chevy conversion that makes it drive so well or other parts of steering/suspension?

707Bronk

Is it the Chevy conversion that makes it drive so well or other parts of steering/suspension?

Thats Blasphemy! While its OK to think it, to actually say it...thats just sacrilege. Lol

mcknight77

Loc.
Caldwell, ID
About three years ago my son found me a 71 here in Boise. I was still living in Anchorage.

Two years ago I came down to elk hunt and decided to drive it to elk camp (100 miles away).

At about 30 miles down the road, I almost turned it around and headed back home. You couldn't steer it, you couldn't stop it, and it was unsafe over 45 mph. 4.11 gears and 33" tires were over-working the tired 289.

I moved back to Boise in March of last year. Time to get going on the Bronco.

NP435 and new clutch. 3.50 gears in the 9" and swapped a Dana 44 into the front (greatly improved the steering). Replaced the steering box. Disk brake install made it stop. Built a 302 for it so I can keep up with traffic. New springs and shocks front and back with 2.5" lift. New bushings and tie rods etc. New 31" tires (with the 3.50 gears) got the rpm down to 2800 at 65mph. Lift struts on the liftgate and cable supports for the tailgate made it easier and quieter. Roll bar install allowed three point seatbelts for safety. Replaced the top with one without dents and bondo. Recovered the seats with new foam eased the hurt on my back. Fixed the heater with new core and switches. New door seals and replaced the latches on both doors so you can both close them completely AND get them back open.

Still looks pretty ratty, but now it's at least safe and functional. It's my daily driver.

Next up is floorboards, 5-speed, A/C, and power steering and brakes.

Then I'll start on the body and interior.

SteveMa74

Contributor
Ditched the old six for a fuel injected 302 and combo'd it with the 5 spd nv3550. Not only can I now keep up with freeway traffic, I can pass too!

Mikey

Bronco Guru
A huge list of various fixes to engine, driveline and suspension....for mods, the chebby power front disks, then the roll bar with 3-point belts (saved my bacon in my roll-over, allowing me to fix her back up) and front sway bar.....and the Holley 4V on the 85 Mustang GT aluminum intake! Oh, and the 78 Ford Van Spam can power steering pump.....and......and the twin sticks......and the clutch fan....and.....the over-ride traction bars...and the new springs....and...and.....

Well, you get the idea.....it all goes together to make a personalized fun truck!

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Disk brake kit. Came with every thing from complete Chevy conversion up front, plus power brake unit.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 19
  • new brake 001.jpg
    new brake 001.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 3.5inch lift 007.jpg
    3.5inch lift 007.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 19

sprdv1

Contributor