• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel width consensus

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would think a 12.50 tire would ride better on a 10" rim rather than an 8". Anybody have any thought as to why Bulletman's ride quality improved with an 8" rim?

Sure, don't mind if I do.;)
Probably a combination of things really. Oh, and your results may vary...

1. The tire's tread stability (this will depend on the tire) might have changed for the better with the sidewalls pulled in just a bit tighter. Might lead to less squirminess on some tires, with the same or even less air pressure.
Air pressure being a huge variable no matter what combo you choose, a "better ride" does not always equate to better handling. Especially with a tall sidewall design like our truck tires have.

2. A narrower wheel is likely (here again, depends on the individual wheel) to have more positive offset (centerline closer to the bearing and steering centerlines) which pulls the tire's contact patch nearer to where the factory designed it to be for best steering.
Increased scrub radius (the amount of tire/contact patch outside of the steering axis centerline) doesn't always do good things for steering feel or straight line stability. With a wider wheel/tire combination, which typically might have more negative offset, the tire proscribes more of an "arc" when steering, instead of simply pivoting on (or near) it's center.
This also gives the leverage advantage to the tire/wheel over the steering linkage and gear box.

A perfect example of leverage on the linkage that might make for worse road manners would be with the '76 and '77 EB's "inverted-Y" steering. A wider/taller/heavier/more offset setup will literally put more flex into the draglink and tie-rod both when you're trying to steer it (feels more vague) and when you're driving (more feedback into the steering wheel that needs correcting). But this leverage factor is there even on the more rigid earlier Inverted-T style linkage. Just not as noticeable in most cases.

That extra leverage is also the same factor that can put extra wear and tear on the other components such as wheel bearings and ball-joints and rod ends.

Wheel offset will always play a large role in any variables.

While the wider wheel's offset "might" offer some sideways roll stability, on paper at least, it's not always enough benefit to offset other characteristics for my tastes.
We're not talking about extremes here. Which is why a lot of people use 10's and never have an issue. But I bet if you take any number of Broncos and put 8's and 10's on them with the same tires, you'll be able to feel a difference. And as with many things Bronco, your personal tastes will greatly effect your decision. Many people, as you've heard here, even prefer the wider wheel combo. Nothing wrong with that, as long as that's what you like. But for anyone new to old trucks who's used to the steering feel of a modern car (or even truck) I can almost guarantee you'll feel more familiar with the handling characteristics of a narrower wheel.

Some of the aforementioned variables would include tire carcass construction, with the associated tread and sidewall design. Those would play the biggest role I would think. One tire might actually like the wider wheel, while another might like the narrower one. Even the tire manufacturers have a range of widths that they recommend. Most often between 8.5" and 10" for a 12.50" tire.

Maybe an extreme example of this variation would be the tires I just put on my Buick Regal last month. Same stock 16x7 wheels. Previous tire model was a 225x60x16 Goodyear Assurance Comfortread All-Season. New tire is a 235x60x16 Goodyear Assurance Comfortead Touring. The old tires rode hard, were loud, but handled amazingly well and created a completely neutral handling car. The new tires are quiet, smooth and TOTALLY SUCK everywhere else!
The car is now wallowy, under steers like crazy, and literally follows every rain groove in the road. Still experimenting with air pressures, but not too confident of a cure.
Two dissimilar tires I've never used on a vehicle. And they're the more expensive, higher rated tire. Go figure.

Did I mention your results may vary?;D

I'm somewhat regretting using the duraflex flares from JBG which are bushwhackers. The rear flare opening is not wide enough at the front.

Instead of the lift (for now anyway) it sounds like you got Bushwacker's smaller rear opening (original design) flare. It'll cost you the price of a new set of course, but they do make a rear flare with the same profile except for that leading edge. Instead of more vertical, it extends farther forward at the bottom, giving a wider overall opening.
While the lift is probably about the same cost, you might get more bang for that buck initially out of the larger flare opening.
No more little half-moon wear spots where the tires rub!

Someone said once, when you lift it, you should also widen the stance for stability. Im sure there are arguments for both sides, but I would probably get the 10's again if had to do it over.

Yep, higher center of gravity could benefit from a wider track. I agree, but still like to keep it closer to stock than the 10's typically provide. I feel an 8 is still wider than stock, so you are in fact creating a wider track. Just not as wide as a 10 perhaps. Just personal preference at that point. I'm willing to trade some of that last bit of width for a slightly closer-to-stock feel and look.

But there ya go WASP. Fairlane's used the 10's and would do it again. So you see a 10 isn't necessarily or automatically a negative for everyone.
Be great if you can drive similar vehicles with the two sizes of course. I wonder if you're around any who just happen to have them and would let you drive them? Sometimes that's what we do at a get-together or weekend event,

Have fun making the decision!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and I thought your title was pretty funny right there. A "consensus" on tires and wheels? Here? Surely you jest... %)

Paul

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Had 8's. Seemed fine. Went to 10's with same tires and immediately noticed more stability.
Less tippy in the corners.
But like Donk said, "Your results may vary".

SoCal68Bronco

Loc.
San Diego, CA.
I'm dealing with this issue also. I like the look of 10" wheels better.
I'm getting ready to purchase my Tires and Wheels.
35" BFG MT, 15x10 wheel with a 4" BS. 72' D44.
Anyone see any issues with this?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I have them on 8" wide rims with 2.5" lift and I am happy with that. 10" wide would get up into my fender flairs on full flex. I am happy with the 8" wide rims.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I have 35 X 12.5 X 15 tires and went with 8" wide beadlocks and have good performance with them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I like the look of 10" wheels better.
...35" BFG MT, 15x10 wheel with a 4" BS. 72' D44.
Anyone see any issues with this?

Not really. The 4" backspacing is slightly better than some, so that should help.
As you can tell, I prefer 8's myself, but plenty of people using your combo and liking it.
Since you don't have a '76 or a '77 front end, you should be good.

Some other considerations are then:

How much are the fenders cut?
What front brakes are you using?
How much lift?
Are you fighting any current drivability issues?

Paul

SoCal68Bronco

Loc.
San Diego, CA.
The rear fenders are cut. The fronts are not. I'm using the Chevy disc brakes. 3 1/2 Susp. 2" Body lift. I have not driven it yet "officially". I still have the old 31" tires on it. I'm finishing up my build.
I am running duff radius arms. If that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Not really. The 4" backspacing is slightly better than some, so that should help.
As you can tell, I prefer 8's myself, but plenty of people using your combo and liking it.
Since you don't have a '76 or a '77 front end, you should be good.

Some other considerations are then:

How much are the fenders cut?
What front brakes are you using?
How much lift?
Are you fighting any current drivability issues?

Paul

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
36x13.50 on 8's for me.....works great on the rocks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 60

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The rear fenders are cut. The fronts are not.

Probably not an issue since you have so much lift, but if you used Bushwacker's old rear flares the larger tires can sometimes rub the leading edge of the rear flares.
Without the fronts cut, there is still the possibility that your combo will rub the inner fender skirt on the trailing edge of the front wheel well. Not likely with that much lift, but still "possible".

I'm using the Chevy disc brakes.

Good to go then. Reason I asked was that if you were running the Ford brake setup from a '76 or '77 EB, you could have rubbing issues on the tie-rod ends. No problem for the full-size Ford or GM brake setup.

I am running duff radius arms. If that makes a difference.

It does. In a good way. Should be a little more clearance for the tires when turning. Still might rub at full lock turns, but might not.

Good luck with the build.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, not enough suspension lift for starters. Other than that, nothing I can think of.
(edit: sorry, I was thinking you had 2.5" lift, but you said you might be sporting 3.5" suspension. That should be fine)

If you're using the knuckles and brakes from that '78, you should be fine for clearance with the wheels. The tires will possibly rub the radius arms in sharper turns, but not an issue either.

Steering linkage alignment becomes a little more tinkery to get the angles just right, as the tie-rod is lower on your knuckles and that changes the angle of the dangle on the draglink vs the trackbar. Not much maybe, but something you have to be aware of at least when setting up the system.

(deleted the other clearance comments due to brain fade)

Paul

OP
OP
WASP1971

WASP1971

Loc.
Mary Esther, Florida
Paul, I've also got the WH +1" body mounts and I'm waiting on BCB's adjustable radius arms. If only I could hit the numbers and just buy one from ICON.........sigh........

SoCal68Bronco

Loc.
San Diego, CA.
Thanks Paul! That really helps. I know there could be a possibility the fronts could rub. I guess I will have to wait and see. I'm finally coming to the end of a 5 year build. Bronco should be on the street sometime in December..Can't wait!

Thanks again!

Probably not an issue since you have so much lift, but if you used Bushwacker's old rear flares the larger tires can sometimes rub the leading edge of the rear flares.
Without the fronts cut, there is still the possibility that your combo will rub the inner fender skirt on the trailing edge of the front wheel well. Not likely with that much lift, but still "possible".

Good to go then. Reason I asked was that if you were running the Ford brake setup from a '76 or '77 EB, you could have rubbing issues on the tie-rod ends. No problem for the full-size Ford or GM brake setup.

It does. In a good way. Should be a little more clearance for the tires when turning. Still might rub at full lock turns, but might not.

Good luck with the build.

Paul

GRW

If you air way down I would lean towards the 8".
They seem to hold the beads better when aired down (alot).
If you add bead locks (weld on or other wise) normaly it adds to the rim width.
I have 7" with 2 1/4 BS (custom wheel) with 35 X12.50's on my Toy.
I like them, been using them for years (started with my sami).
Helps move the tires out with using a spacer and keeps the lugs from riding on the springs and snaping axles %)
I could see were the right offset would give you the best fit under the rear of the bronco (without rubbing that is).

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I'm waiting on BCB's adjustable radius arms. If only I could hit the numbers and just buy one from ICON.........sigh........

Who needs an Icon, when you're practically building one yourself!;D
I like the BC arms. I think they're missing a bet by not putting a nice big bend in it for more tire clearance, but Chuck's usually got good reasons for doing, or not doing something with a product. The design might just not lend itself easily to the clearance bend.

I have 7" with 2 1/4 BS (custom wheel) with 35 X12.50's on my Toy...

That was common practice with the desert racers in the '60's and '70's, sometimes with bead-locks, but mostly before bead-locks became the norm. Mount your 12.50 tire (usually a "massive" 33:cool:) on a 7" wheel and run 'em down the Baja.
Where'd you get your wheels made? Local place, or one of the more well known manufacturers?

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You want a consensus on this? There will never be one.
The 8" like lower tire pressure. The 10" like higher tire pressure.
Lower pressure is better for trail use, not as good on the street.
Higher pressure has less rolling resistance, better gas mileage, better tire wear.

I drove mine on the street too much, including a lot of fast highway action. 10s worked better.