• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windshield frame support question..

Tomjfred

Hi all- new to the forum and looking for advice. I've got a '73 bronco that I would like to start carrying 1-2 kayaks on in short distances. My question is, does the roll bar and windshield (particularly the windshield) have enough support for the kayaks or should I look into getting a 4pt cage for behind the seats to better spread out the weight of the kayaks?
Thx, Tom

price209

Loc.
Folsom
Without the top on the windshield has very little support, basically just being held in place by the two knobs on that go through the dash. Using the windshield frame to bare a load will also put stress on parts that weren't designed to be under stress. Without the top on you will already get a lot of windshield movement from wind without some sort of windshield support braces, now add the weight of the kayaks shifting back and forth with braking and accelerating plus the extra wind resistance, probably not the best idea.

You can find some pretty inexpensive front cage or family cage ad ons that would work out a lot better for you.

Gook luck and welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
T

Tomjfred

Thanks price 209-I had a feeling but needed to confirm. Appreciate the councel. I've been looking for a cage locally in the Northeast, trying to avoid those heavy shipping costs from the online places

Juiceman

Contributor
Welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in the Northeast? I am on the MA/NH/ME triangle. If you are in New England, check out Tasker's post about the May it Forward event.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Tomjfred, welcome aboard too, and happy trails (or city streets as the case may be) with your new truck.
Good advice above for sure. While it might "carry" the static weight of a kayak ok, all those dynamic forces at work would not be pretty.

You could arrange a pair of braces just for the windshield frame too, just to support it and help carry a larger load, but the cage addition idea is best. You can also use the cage to support the frame better even with no additional load placed on them. Keeps the frame from pulling back into the door frames and chipping the paint.
If yours has been topless for long, you will probably see the paint missing from the upper corners of the door frame already.

If you don't find what you want, or a shop that can make you what you need, we do have a potentially good option. There is still shipping involved, but MUCH less than a full cage. It's the San Felipe series here: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/s?keyword=san+felipe which is easily UPS'able.

What type of rear bar is in there now? Since Ford never offered one, it's a crapshoot as to what you might have. The style we have was the most common by far however, up to the late nineties, so there's a good chance you have something compatible.
If you ever need to upload some photos (we love pics!) you will need to use an online image hosting site like supermotors, photobucket or the like. If you want to upload them directly to your posts you have to become a contributor for 12 bucks a year. Well worth it of course as far as most of us are concerned, but being new to the site you will likely want to check us out for awhile before forking over hard earned money.

Good luck. And have fun!
Oh, and learn to say "snowball effect" and "well, while I'm in there already..." as they will be what you will relate to friends and family members (you married?) when they ask how you ended up knee deep in parts in the garage!%)

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and by any chance is your '73 a "Q" truck? That would be the letter Q in the VIN.
As in, "U15GLQxxxxxx" or similar, denoting a very early build?
Reason I ask is that there is a thread posted by Viperwolf1 where we're keeping track of the changes during the transition from "P" VIN's to "Q" VIN's and when they were built.

So if yours was built between August and October of '72 and has one of those letters, let us know.

Thanks!

Paul

price209

Loc.
Folsom
Paul,

My 73 has a vin U15GLQ828**. My grandpa was the original owner. I think his original purchase date was in October or Novemer of 72. I don't have the paper work with me and I am not with the truck right now but I can get info for you if you need it.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That'd be great! Add it to the list for sure.
Here's a link to the thread in question: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221155
Maybe you can get some of that other info too, such as auto trans vs manual, fuel return line, dash lights (most likely), power steering and such? Especially the under-hood stuff such as the coolant bottle and cold-air intake.

Thanks

Paul