• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

yet more ARB questions, how much air leakage is acceptable?

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I guess I am an oddball but I hate setting up 9" R&P. For having such supposedly easy adjustmente it seem it always takes me 2-3 times as long to set one up.

Anyway, I aire tested the ARB and flet like it was leaking. I didnt have a pressure gauge and Ireally dont want to soap the o-rings on the carrier. I pressurized it lasr night and went to bed. This morning I still had pressure but not where near as much as when first connected. All I could do is judge it by the amount of air rhat came out when the valve was open.

When I talked to ARB about my other issue (cracked housing) I asked out of couriousity and they sounded as if these things werent supposed to leak at all.

I guess I will take a gauge off my compressed air regulator and see how fast this thing actuall bleeds down.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If/when they leak, they leak into the differential housing which then generally blows oil out the breather. It sounds like it might be coming out for the cracked housing, so why not just plan on replacing the o-ring then?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If it held pressure overnight, at least most of it's pressure, it is fine. When they leak, you will know it. Can you hear or feel it escaping? if not then you are fine. The DOT guidelines for a commercial tire leaking air is it has to be audible. That is if you don't hear it leaking, it is acceptable.

From what you describe, its fine. By the time you get some gear oil on the seal it should get even better.

OP
OP
00gyrhed

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I had enough air leaking I could feel it but it was slight. Rotated the ring gear one full turn and it didn't leak. Held 100 PSI for 20 minutes even while rotating the ring gear. O ring just must have needed a little more to seal.