• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to ream your knuckles - anything special?

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
I have just purchased and received the BC Broncos heim steering kit. By the way, it looks great, heims are awesome, and Chuck and Jason were extremely helpful.

Anyways, I've done quite a bit of research and searched around on past threads on HOW to ream the knuckles and there isn't much in the way of advice. Here's the only thing I've read:
1) Go slow
2) Use cutting oil
3) Check depth often to ensure you don't ream too deep

I'm assuming that you need to do all you can to ensure you are reaming 'plumb' with the ground (I'm doing a TRO). Correct? Any tips here or is it just an eyeball exercise.

I'm also assuming that since the reamer comes with a t-handle that the reaming is done by hand and that you don't chuck this reamer up into a 220v DeWalt hammer drill. Correct? ;D

Any other tips?

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I put my reamer in a drill. I started with the t handle but I think it would have taken a couple of hours per hole doing it by hand.

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I did mine using a drill. I would say you want it as square as possible, and do use oil. When I did mine, I almost took too much material out on one of the knuckles. So take your time and check often. I'm currently upgrading my axles and will be doing the new Dana44 knuckles this weekend in my drillpress since the axle is apart right now.

mikeginn

Started by hand for the first 2 minutes, the hooked up my reamer to a heavy duty socket on my air compressor. Still took about 30 min per knuckle. The drag link was the worst

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well the guys that did mine DID go too deep. I would have thought after doing one that they would have taken more time doing the second one. Now what are my options? I don't mean to hijack the thread but thought as it was brought up that maybe someone reading (like ME!) would like to know what to do IF and WHEN it is reamed too deep. :-X

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I reamed one of mine too deep and I think the only option I have is to replace that knuckle and try not to ream too deep again. reaming too deep made my tie rod end move around a little which isn't a big deal when wheeling slow but makes it wander on road.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
If you went to far, BC sells incerts. You should be able to drill it more then pop in the incert. I dont trust anyone to work on my Bronco.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I already have their inserts. Without them the bottom of the hole would still be tapered the wrong way allowing the tie rod ends to wobble.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I already have their inserts. Without them the bottom of the hole would still be tapered the wrong way allowing the tie rod ends to wobble. Hopefully that will work for greatguy.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I'm assuming that you need to do all you can to ensure you are reaming 'plumb' with the ground (I'm doing a TRO). Correct?

I would correct this and say you want it as plumb as possible to the bottom surface of the steering arm. Rather than the ground.
The reason being that this is where the nut tightens down, and you want it to sit flush on that surface.
I consider that important enough that, if it doesn't quite sit flush, it would be worth spot-facing that surface under the nut until it does.

Paul

hammer

Bronco Guru
Yeah use a drill,go slow, check often. Make sure you are checking the depth with the right tie rod end as well. I over reamed one of my knuckles fitting it to the wrong end. I had to replace the knuckle, turning a 30 min job into a couple hours. Good thing I had an extra set of f150 knuckles. Also depending on your kit don't forget to ream your pitman arm. I messed up my end by over tightening the castle nut, trying to get the cotter pin lined up. It wasn't sitting deep enough because i forgot to ream the pitman arm.