• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A little hard to start

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
'75 Bronco..original 302, all stock . Just changed over to C4 automatic from 3 speed manual tranny. Nothhing else was done. This is where it gets confusing......It Used to start good cold with a couple of pumps of the pedal and ran good too. When it was already warmed up..it started right up every time. Now after the C4 install...I get her back from tranny shop and when you go to start it cold...you have to pump it five to six times and sometimes mash the pedal to the floor and then it will start. Runs fine...goods throttle response, no hitches or anything, just hard to start. You can cut it off and restart it fine. When you let it sit an hour or so...its hard to start again. I replaced the accelerator pump on the carb, but havent rebuilt the carb yet . Any other things to look out for? Surely nothing in changing the tranny would make it hard to start now would it? Tranny shop didnt do anything motor or carb. Coincidence maybe? Let me know your thoughts. I want this baby starting like it used to.

Thanks,

Blue71

mcknight77

Loc.
Caldwell, ID
You shouldn't have to pump the gas pedal on a cold engine. Mash it down one time to set the choke and it should start. If it doesn't, set the choke properly.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
do you have points and condenser distributor? how old? need to be gaped or replaced? spark plugs?

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did they do anything with the kick down to the carb? They could have thrown something off hooking it up, just a guess.