• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI first start up problem

garyp

Loc.
Germantown
Motor started up, timing off, moved rotor one notch, timing at 12btc, installed spout, motor timed and sounded perfect for 5 minutes, and then all of a sudden the rpm went to 2000 with a loud sucking noise at the throtle body filter. I have not pulled codes since the first KOEO. Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks, Gary

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Sounds like a vacuum leak. Follow the sucky noise.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Might need to re-torque the intake. Happened to me. I also had my EVR vacuum hoses switched (50-50 chance of getting them right the first time). But your s sounds more like it could be a big leak. Maybe a vacuum line is totally opened somewhere.

OP
OP
G

garyp

Loc.
Germantown
Tried again and idled perfect for 5 minutes and shut off like you turned the key off. Did this twice, and then went to the high idle again. I checked the voltage at the IAB and was good, and now getting a KOER code 12 which is the IAB motor I think.

Last edited:

NYLES

Bronco Guru
isnt 2000 rpm part of the KOER test? I REMEMBER MINE going to 2K for about 3 mins while running a koer test...but it never died and returned to normal idle.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Idle Air Control - you either have it in backwards or its bad. I had issues with my EFI swap where the motor would rev high and stay there for a second or two and settle down.

I replaced the IAC and it ran better - didn't make all the damn sucking noise and high RPM crap.

OP
OP
G

garyp

Loc.
Germantown
Replaced the IAC today and still runs 2 to 3 k rpm. It is installed backwards for the BC throttle cable per their instructions. I checked the voltage at the TPS and green was .02v, orange/w was 5.02v, black was .02v. I think the 5.02 is ok but not the others. Any tips please.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
With the throttle closed TPS voltage should be around 0.6-0.8 volts. It should be closer to 4 to 5 volts at wide open throttle. Something sounds screwy. Maybe a bad TPS.

DFP1129

Loc.
Germantown TN
GaryP---Dad--- :) correct me if im wrong, but The TPS we used was from the explorer motor, we spliced in the sensor to the mustang harness via the diagrams we obtained.. So IF we bought a mustang TPS would it fit properly in the same place OR should the explorer one work correctly taking into account we wired correctly..?

You like how I say "we"?

David P.

ransil

Bronco Guru
adjust the throttle stop screw in a little bit , you might have the throttle plate fully closed

My IAC did not work when installed per BC instructions, I had to install it per factory..

OP
OP
G

garyp

Loc.
Germantown
I'll try switching the IAC back, and adjust the screw on the tb. I read somewhere that a mustang tps will fit so I might pick one up and see. Thanks

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
You are NOT supposed to be messing with the throttle stop, that is carefully calibrated and I had nothing but issues with that IAC when it was backwards - swing it back around.

OP
OP
G

garyp

Loc.
Germantown
You are NOT supposed to be messing with the throttle stop, that is carefully calibrated and I had nothing but issues with that IAC when it was backwards - swing it back around.

Will do tonight and let you know.

ransil

Bronco Guru

Get it running then dial in the stop screw to the perfect" calibrated" idle just make sure its open so the thing can start

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DFP1129

Loc.
Germantown TN
I bought 2 TPS units today.. for some reason they had two part#'s listed in the system at Advanced auto parts..

so in true fashion i bought both :)..

ill take back the one that i dont need.

both are for an 89 5.0 mustang

DAVIDP

OP
OP
G

garyp

Loc.
Germantown
Reversed the IAC and that did the trick, but after a few minutes it started to try to die so I unplugged the MAF and it idled ok. Ran KOEO and 81,82,84,85. Ran KOER and 98,66, but I had the MAF unplugged. TPS voltage is .94v closed, 4.64v open. I think I'm almost there or somewhere.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What are you using for a MAF? Might try cleaning it.